Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#130710  by Noel Weaver

These are not recent pictures.
One D. & H. Alco is running out of Arkville on the Delaware and Ulster
tourist train.
Noel Weaver
 #131221  by Matt Langworthy

I agree with Noel. On that same forum, there is a picture of RS-36 #5017 in full D&H livery on the D&U. The Upper Hudson has another RS-36 in lightning stripes. While I don't know the fate of RS-3u #504 (in one of the pics), her sister #506 is alive and well pulling exursion trains on the Tioga Central. In fact, #506 still proudly wears the Bicentennial color scheme she received nearly 30 years ago. There are other surviving D&H diesels, including alot of Alcos. Keep looking- you won't be disappointed. :-)

#131225  by scottychaos

photos at least 20 years old..
maybe 25.
its after 1976 because the LV GP38-2 is there in D&H blue.
but when was the last time a RS3m was on the D&H?
mid 80's probably..
and there is a PC E-unit there!

Photos must be sometime in the early or mid 80's..

Scot
 #132678  by b&m617

so-
Is there now a deadline when this stuff has to either be moved or scrapped?? One of the cars has been broken into and its full of electrical gear and other parts. As you said its a shame somebody can't use this stuff; switch has been removed and it's stranded...as mentioned in the previous postings, think the d&H coach is the last example left. The hack is close to the same situation...

anyone have any ideas???

work safe
Derail :P

#132812  by cjvrr

There is some equipment sitting there that is owned by various historic groups. I believe a B&M RS3, and some passenger cars are there. Most have deteriorated very badly.

The linked photos show a dead line of locomotives that had been there. I would say this is sometime after April 1986. I have a photo from April 1986 that my father took showing at least 20 engines on the same line. None had been cut at the time although oterh equipment such as a tank car had been.

Chris

#133097  by scottychaos

there are currently 5 dead Alcos at Colonie.
and some rolling stock
(they are of no relation to any of the engines in the photos at the start of this thread..)

one S1
one S2
two RS3's
and a FA2

see this thread for more info:
http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11096

and see here for heritage of the locos:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/NY-Alcos/

Scot

#133616  by NRGeep

Thanks to everyone for setting me straight on this. The PC E unit should have tipped me off that those photos were ancient history.
 #1166520  by Engineer Spike

As many know, the FA unit has been gone for a few years. Recently I noticed the hack and boxcar are gone. Supposedly, the APR RS3 was going to the Alco museum. Copper thieves had stripped much wiring. I have heard that Battenkill was given an opportunity to take spare parts from it.

Does anyone know what happened to the boxcar and hack?