Railroad Forums 

• Independence pass on AM peak trains...

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1275032  by Limited-Clear

Confused here thought I was going to read about an independence pass, opened the link and it's nothing to do with Ind passes and morning peak trains
 #1275063  by kiha40

Incidentally, this week I heard a passenger ask a station attendant what the definition of "peak" is, I assume this was in the context of the Independence Pass. After a few seconds of "umm..." I went out to wait for the train :-)
 #1276503  by Silverliner II

kiha40 wrote:Incidentally, this week I heard a passenger ask a station attendant what the definition of "peak" is, I assume this was in the context of the Independence Pass. After a few seconds of "umm..." I went out to wait for the train :-)
Pretty much because "peak" no longer exists on SEPTA trains. There are the regular fares, and then the "evening/weekend" fares (which apply from 7pm to the end of service on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays).
 #1276603  by Clearfield

Silverliner II wrote:Pretty much because "peak" no longer exists on SEPTA trains. There are the regular fares, and then the "evening/weekend" fares (which apply from 7pm to the end of service on weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays).
There is a 'pseudo peak' when it comes to Independence Passes. They aren't usable until 9:30am unless you're going to the airport from CC.
 #1480819  by diburning

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this site seems to encourage this instead of starting a new one.

I haven't been on SEPTA since 2010. I'm visiting Philly in October, and will be getting on at the Airport. If I buy an independence pass online now, will it still be valid in October if unused? I vaguely remember the pass being a large card with all of the months and days, and the conductor punches the month and day upon first use. I also vaguely remember that I can't buy one at the Airport unless I pay for one on board, and then exchange it at a ticket office for an actual pass. Is any of this still the case?

Also, on the SEPTA website, it says:

Not valid on Regional Rail trains arriving Center City Philadelphia weekdays before 9:30 a.m. However, the Independence Pass is valid at any time on Airport Line Regional Rail trains.

Does this mean that if I board at the Airport before 9:30AM I can still use an Independence Pass to get into Center City? Or is the exception for the pass for one direction (towards the airport) only?
 #1480828  by mcgrath618

diburning wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this site seems to encourage this instead of starting a new one.

I haven't been on SEPTA since 2010. I'm visiting Philly in October, and will be getting on at the Airport. If I buy an independence pass online now, will it still be valid in October if unused? I vaguely remember the pass being a large card with all of the months and days, and the conductor punches the month and day upon first use. I also vaguely remember that I can't buy one at the Airport unless I pay for one on board, and then exchange it at a ticket office for an actual pass. Is any of this still the case?

Also, on the SEPTA website, it says:

Not valid on Regional Rail trains arriving Center City Philadelphia weekdays before 9:30 a.m. However, the Independence Pass is valid at any time on Airport Line Regional Rail trains.

Does this mean that if I board at the Airport before 9:30AM I can still use an Independence Pass to get into Center City? Or is the exception for the pass for one direction (towards the airport) only?
You can indeed buy a pass and keep it on you, unused, until you use it (as long as it doesn't expire. I think it does after 180 days but I may be mistaken).
You also can indeed use it on an Airport line train at any time of day in any direction.
 #1480840  by MACTRAXX

DIB: Independence Passes are valid for a period of two to three years depending on the years
that are on the lower left corner on the front of the pass. Example: I have one unused I Pass
that I purchased back in June 2017 that has the years 2017-2018 noted meaning that it will
be valid until the end of 2018.

It is a good idea to purchase an I Pass before your trip to save yourself the hassle of having to
go to one of the Center City ticket offices and exchange a cash fare receipt for the actual I Pass.

The only two restrictions are using an I Pass weekdays on Regional Rail in which they are not valid
until after 9:30 AM going through Center City as mentioned with the exception of the Airport Line
where they are valid at all times. There is no AM Peak restriction to use an I Pass on any other
transit vehicle. The other one is that they are not valid to Zone NJ: Trenton and West Trenton.
A surcharge of $5 extra each trip will apply for any RRD travel to either of these two stations.
MACTRAXX
 #1485790  by Hal

The conductors on the inbound Lansdale/Doylestown line usually have a stack of Independance Passes on them.
After they're used up they switch to the cash fare receipt.

I think the individual train tickets are good for 180 days or so.
 #1505543  by CNJGeep

diburning wrote:I don't see the 9:30AM language on the SEPTA website anymore. Are the Independence Passes now accepted at all times now?
Yes.
 #1505546  by MACTRAXX

CNJ: When was the restriction of Independence Pass use on AM Peak trains ended?
This is the first time I knew about this - I noticed that the SEPTA website mentions that IPasses are valid at all times on Regional Rail.
Good to know for future reference...MACTRAXX
 #1505553  by CNJGeep

Maybe February 1?? Maybe a bit before or after that, but after the year flipped
 #1508667  by zebrasepta

Yeah, the Independence pass does work for trains going to center city before 9:30 AM but they haven't updated back part of the passes to reflect that and it still has the old information on the back.
 #1510690  by rcthompson04

MichaelBug wrote:I was able to use an Independence Pass during the AM peak hour on Train 6593 (departed North Wales at 7:07a) on Tuesday (6/4/19) with no problem.
I used them about 10 times in May on my SEPTAKey for Zone 4 and back without an issue. I had the auto reload function set up so it loaded every day after one expired. I had no issues.