Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1521934  by ApproachMedium

The charger is not on the drawing board, Siemens already has all their stuff together. Its just a matter of the railroads agreeing on everything since the 4 NYC region consortium gets their act together on what will meet everyones needs. Other options that were presented were all denied as nobody else was able to present a product that could do 125mph and was certified for it. Siemens product is certified and operates well at that speed. Also has probably one of the best accel times from a stop between other offerings and lower daily service cost.

NJT will likely NOT be replacing ANYTHING with dual modes. The dual modes will come in and fill the gaps for all the power they got rid of in the last few years that should NOT have been. The system runs on the edge of its seat every day with power. Failures are constant and things are falling apart. They dont have enough spares to pull things out of line to perform even small daily repairs so engines are running until they cant provide service anymore. The lack of cab cars has also been a major issue. Thankfully with a railroader finally at the head end of things, the comet ivs are finally doing some kind of testing to work the compatibility issues out with the dual modes. Hopefully this can be corrected and provide many much needed cabs for single level trainsets.
 #1521966  by EuroStar

ApproachMedium wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 am The charger is not on the drawing board, Siemens already has all their stuff together.
I didn't say that is was Siemens' drawing board :wink: . The customers' drawing board can be as bad or even worse than that of the manufacturer's, especially given that several agencies must agree on what really is relatively minor (but important) details.
ApproachMedium wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 amNJT will likely NOT be replacing ANYTHING with dual modes. The dual modes will come in and fill the gaps for all the power they got rid of in the last few years that should NOT have been.
I hope you are right for the sake of all those people waiting for the train only to hear an announcement that it has been cancelled due to mechanical problems. I am not very optimistic though. I would not be surprised to see a number of the geeps parked immediately after the new engines are approved for revenue service. NJT has history of parking or disposing of equipment, which even though worn out, could still be used, especially in a pinch.
 #1521969  by blockline4180

ApproachMedium wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 amNJT will likely NOT be replacing ANYTHING with dual modes. The dual modes will come in and fill the gaps for all the power they got rid of in the last few years that should NOT have been.
I hope you are right for the sake of all those people waiting for the train only to hear an announcement that it has been cancelled due to mechanical problems. I am not very optimistic though. I would not be surprised to see a number of the geeps parked immediately after the new engines are approved for revenue service. NJT has history of parking or disposing of equipment, which even though worn out, could still be used, especially in a pinch.
[/quote]

Eurostar,

With Ray as VP of operations, I truly doubt the existing geeps will be parked after the duals arrive, unless there is a major failure with one.. In fact there are a few real railroaders who are high up in the ranks, and not just Ray..
Additionally, from what I was just told from a yardmaster the 4200's and a few 4100 geeps will continue to be used in revenue even after the tack on order of dual modes arrive... Believe it or not, there are even plans to bring the 4109 back to revenue service, amazingly!
 #1522044  by ApproachMedium

Dual modes may do their thing but they are a huge waste of fuel on smaller sets run on the hoboken side. The GP classics are much better fitted for this duty so they will be retained for such
 #1522063  by NJRAILNUT

blockline4180 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 amBelieve it or not, there are even plans to bring the 4109 back to revenue service, amazingly!
4109 is the Geep that was recently repainted into the blue CNJ scheme, correct? I had assumed they would use this in revenue service, but I take it from your comment that there are still mechanic issues to work out before this happens?

Thanks.
 #1522090  by blockline4180

NJRAILNUT wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 am
blockline4180 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 amBelieve it or not, there are even plans to bring the 4109 back to revenue service, amazingly!
4109 is the Geep that was recently repainted into the blue CNJ scheme, correct? I had assumed they would use this in revenue service, but I take it from your comment that there are still mechanic issues to work out before this happens?

Thanks.
Correct. Needs to have the HEP issue addressed (replaced or repaired?) and some other light mechanical work needs to be performed before it can pull passengers... From what I read it does have PTC installed though.
 #1523732  by ryanov

Did I read that right, ApproachMedium, that there's talk of reactivating the Comet IV cabs?
 #1523738  by ApproachMedium

Things are being tested. It would be stupid NOT to. The things are there. I still to this point do not understand why they are not using them with the legacy locomotives that they know they work with. The place is always short cab cars. I could only hope to see with this push to reactivate all the mothballed or sidelined stuff could bring back some Comet 3s as PP trailer cars, or even at least for dedicated meadowlands trains.
 #1523793  by nightmare403

i dont think they gonna reactivate the IV cabs i looks blind
Attachments:
72884133_402793807055850_6307551690589470720_n.jpg
72884133_402793807055850_6307551690589470720_n.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
 #1547598  by ApproachMedium

The number of lies in there about the dual modes is astounding. The dual modes are forever restricted to 90mph because of their weight and will never do 125mph. The higher speed diesel engine is NOT an advantage. Its a disadvantage, these engines SUCK fuel up on a layover way faster than a normal diesel locomotive does. Somebody up there is very misinformed and is pulling the wool over the eyes of the public
 #1547631  by Dcell

Why wouldn't these units idle on electric power while on layover? In diesel only territory, why wouldn't the units be plugged into wayside power?
 #1547703  by ApproachMedium

Dcell wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:06 am Why wouldn't these units idle on electric power while on layover? In diesel only territory, why wouldn't the units be plugged into wayside power?
Because you cannot run in and out of hoboken on electric, because putting pans up or down can cause PI in the termainal which damages the concrete from the booms. Raritan sets only switch to electric if they run to NYP, they dont bother for layovers. Same with the bayhead shuttles, the mechanical locks the pans out so you cant even mode change for the layover. . The only time they will put them on wayside power is for overnight layovers, of many hours or more. typical day time turns that are only an hour or two they do not plug in.

Until they run the wire out to Secacus you will not have dual mode trains destined for hoboken running on electric of laying over on electric.