Railroad Forums 

• Brookhaven

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #894074  by tahawus84

I think it is great that brookhaven and calverton are getting done. It is ashame that others who want rail service are not allowed but certain towns to have it though ie 84 lumber and winter bros in medford. The winter bros proposal was pretty large as well
 #903425  by Teutobergerwald

Has any progress been made, or is there still too much snow on the ground out there?
 #913662  by railfaned

The original announcement for the Brookhaven Rail Terminal said that it's supposed to be opening this spring. Since spring is here, has any work been completed yet?
 #913749  by tahawus84

Nope. Just cleared all the trees all the way to the expressway. Still just grading and separating out sand and rocks. Thought the switch was going in this spring so maybe well see some thing soon. Probably a little behind with all the snow we had this year
 #927815  by tahawus84

Also don't know if its related but there is a new signal facing west at the bellport ave crossing
 #927875  by tahawus84

As far as the signal I dont know what kind it is I can grab some pics tomorrow. I am thinking maybe a new block signal? It is about 1 mile west from where the switch is going in. Looks like those new ones they put in patchouge a few years ago. It is currently covered by a bag.
 #928237  by workextra

It's probably the new Eastbound(?) Distant Switch Indicator for the EB Facing-point switch in the Photo. (Not Installed)
 #933606  by freightguy

LIRR General Notice is out for the switch to be installed. Maybe they'll do it this weekend....
 #934016  by tahawus84

Yup it is being installed right now. looks like it will be done soon. Installed real close to the overpass. Noticed lots of ballast onsite and a piles of new ties as well.
 #936440  by Teutobergerwald

Saw the new switch myself this afternoon. Wouldn't a wye give NYA more flexibility with operating there, and at Calverton? I believe there was once a wye at Camp Upton, now Brookhaven National Lab. Anybody know when the wye was snipped at BNL, leaving just one leg in place?
 #936737  by Shavano

Saw the new switch myself this afternoon. Wouldn't a wye give NYA more flexibility with operating there, and at Calverton? I believe there was once a wye at Camp Upton, now Brookhaven National Lab. Anybody know when the wye was snipped at BNL, leaving just one leg in place?
Unknown to me if there's another reason, but a wye is 2 switches more expensive than a single trailing/facing point switch.. something that definitely factors into the reasoning. The west leg of the Upton Jct wye was torn up in 1968, leaving the east leg in service today.
 #937128  by tahawus84

I think the reason they dont need a wye at brookhaven is the set up of the tracks in the yard. They have 4-5 receiving + departure tracks. I am guessing it will be a dedicated run out there anyway. They will just pull the train in off the main onto a receiving track and then run around the outbounds on a clear track hook up and go back west.

Probably dont need a wye at calverton as there is a siding where they can run around the train a little further east. I guess they will just shove everything in the clear onto the siding there and then switch out the customers. When they are done they need to go to riverhead anyway. If not they can just runaround in that siding or have power on both ends and just pull out and reverse.
 #938334  by Ðauntless

Supposedly HLCX 1017 (GP38-3) is on its way for use here..