Railroad Forums 

• How long have you been on railroad.net

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#860942  by blockss

Hello everyone. Many of you probably don't know me because I don't post here much anymore, but I've been posting on this site for a long time. When I first started it was more like a blog. I had a text based web browser and this site didn't have user accounts associated with it. When user accounts were started, support for text based web browsers was stopped.
I'm just wondering what other stories people have for how long they have been here and how they joined.
 #884531  by DutchRailnut

I was on Railroad.net when Al Gore invented the internet ;-)
 #884999  by MEC407

Not exactly sure. 2001-ish would be my best guess. Time flies!
 #887746  by Komachi

Oh, Lord...

Pre 2004 re-boot. I stumbled across rr.net when I was still at UW-Milwaukee. So sometime between 2000 and 2003. I want to say 2002.

All I know is that I first started moderating sometime in 2003. I had a little ity-bitty forum specifically for Japanese railroads. Then, I think I took over the Milwaukee Road forum... But, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... too many Jedi "mind tricks" to recall that far back.

But that was the start of my moderating career on rr.net. Now, I think I hold the record for the most forums moderated at one time (although I could be mistaken...). I'm just thankful I have David and Ken as co-moderators (you guys RULE!!!).

These past seven years (nine if you count the pre-2004 era) have been great and it'll be interesting to see where the next seven lead...
 #893547  by PikesPeak303

Hey All & Komachi,

I figured this would be a good thread to introduce myself. I'm a Colorado guy through and through, brand new to the forums and anxious to meet a ton of fellow rail heads! My first job of my life was as an usher at Pikes Peak and I have been addicted to trains ever since. Thank you all for being so welcoming and I look forward to meeting you!

PP
 #979668  by 2nd trick op

I have a few posts in the "old" format, dating from the winter of 1998-99, but my interest really picked up around 2002, when i discovered the site's potential for discussion of both "statecraft" and rail-journalism issues. We have what I believe to be a truly unique outlet for our interests and energies here, and I can only offer another round of thanks to those who founded, policed, and developed it.
 #979691  by Patrick Boylan

I thought one could just look at the 'joined on' date in the posts' mini-profile under our usernames, but I see a bunch of March 2004 people replying here that they joined before 2004. I guess that means something happened then to make a bunch of users reset their accounts.

I don't remember when I joined, but Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:44 pm sounds about right. I changed my username about a year ago, I used to be gardendance, but I thought it probably wasn't a good idea to use my real name, so I picked my current unassuming alias to try to maintain internet anonyminity.

I was trolling around at trains.com, somebody there posted 'Guess what, there are other foamer sites out there...', one of the ones he listed was railroad.net

This tends to be the site I check, and post on, the most, mainly because it's got these geographical based fora. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, so I like to be able to look at the Septa forum. Since my wife forced me to move to New Jersey I also check the 2 NJ fora, NJ Transit Rail and NJ Transit Light Rail, and whenever life gives me nothing else to do I'll graze around the other topics, as I did here in order to see and reply to this one.
 #979693  by MEC407

Patrick Boylan wrote:I thought one could just look at the 'joined on' date in the posts' mini-profile under our usernames, but I see a bunch of March 2004 people replying here that they joined before 2004. I guess that means something happened then to make a bunch of users reset their accounts.
It was in March of 2004 when the web site switched over to phpBB for its forum software. Existing members had to create new accounts.