Railroad Forums 

• Reviving passenger service between West Trenton & Bound Brook

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#73275  by F23A4

I wonder how much ridership would originate from Central and Upper Bucks County, PA commuters heading to Nwk/NYC.

#86306  by JLo

Some very optimistic people in Ewing are considering a transit village application for the West Trenton station.

http://www.nj.com/news/times/mercer/ind ... 299220.xml

#86316  by Lackawanna484

F23A4 wrote:I wonder how much ridership would originate from Central and Upper Bucks County, PA commuters heading to Nwk/NYC.
There's quite a few people already using the Princeton Jct station who have PA license plates. I'd guess there are some (many?) at Lawrence, too. And, Trenton has always had a lot of PA plates in the rip-off lots near the station.

#86326  by BlockLine_4111

An old buddy of mine lives in Hillsborough. I think the West Trenton line is nearby. That area has gone through eXPlosIVE growth and dense packing of the populace. Bring back the train !

#86329  by JLo

IMHO, reinstating West Trenton service is a no brainer. There is growth throughout Montgomery, Hillsborough, Princeton Twp. and Hopewell to support it. The problem is again the cost. The freights demand a flyover over at Reading Jct, which essentially doubles the cost of the restart. Plus, additional trains have to run on the Lehigh Line between Newark and Aldene, a no-no for both NS and CSX absent a payoff in either triple tracking on that segment or double tracking from Potters to Bound Brook.

p.s. Hillsborough is not near West Trenton. About 35 miles apart, I think.

#86357  by Lackawanna484

JLo wrote:Hillsborough is not near West Trenton. About 35 miles apart, I think.
Actually, it's about 24 miles by rail from Bound Brook to "Trenton" on the Reading NY Short Line, so Hillsborough is probably 2 miles less.

I agree the deal is a non-brainer, and could be installed in a few days if necessary. Los Angeles opened a brand new commuter line to Santa Clarita and added three stations, parking lots, etc over a long weekend following an earthquake. Should take NJ about 10-15 years to open a line where track already exists, etc.

#86468  by AKelley728

Lackawanna484 wrote:There's quite a few people already using the Princeton Jct station who have PA license plates. I'd guess there are some (many?) at Lawrence, too. And, Trenton has always had a lot of PA plates in the rip-off lots near the station.
Lawrence? You mean Hamilton, right?

Anyway, I use Hamilton everyday, and I would say that at least 10-20% of the cars are from PA.

#86482  by ryanov

Lackawanna484 wrote:
JLo wrote:Hillsborough is not near West Trenton. About 35 miles apart, I think.
Actually, it's about 24 miles by rail from Bound Brook to "Trenton" on the Reading NY Short Line, so Hillsborough is probably 2 miles less.
I think that he means the LINE goes through there. To my knowledge, a stop was even planned there. Am I right, or do I have the wrong line?

#86531  by JLo

A station is planned for Hillsborough near Rt 206 and Amwell Road.

#86553  by BlockLine_4111

Lackawanna484 wrote:
JLo wrote:I agree the deal is a non-brainer, and could be installed in a few days if necessary. Los Angeles opened a brand new commuter line to Santa Clarita and added three stations, parking lots, etc over a long weekend following an earthquake. Should take NJ about 10-15 years to open a line where track already exists, etc.
Are you referring to the 1994 Northridge quake ?

#86561  by Lackawanna484

BlockLine_4111 wrote:
Lackawanna484 wrote:
JLo wrote:I agree the deal is a non-brainer, and could be installed in a few days if necessary. Los Angeles opened a brand new commuter line to Santa Clarita and added three stations, parking lots, etc over a long weekend following an earthquake. Should take NJ about 10-15 years to open a line where track already exists, etc.
Are you referring to the 1994 Northridge quake ?

Yes. Huge project,went smooth as silk. Not like anything NJT would be involved in.

I don't think they added any rail after the Sylmar quake, but I could be wrong.

#86568  by BlockLine_4111

IIRC the Metrolink's Antelope Valley line. Never rode it but have seen the line in Newhall and Saugus, the later has a large parking lot. Ma$$ive sprAwl and home building in this locality. IIRC a new station or two was built or in process of being built on this route. I think this is still LA County, my 2 friends went to college at CSUN. Don't get out this way much anymore.

#86587  by F23A4

JLo wrote:A station is planned for Hillsborough near Rt 206 and Amwell Road.
Although I live near there, I'm still MUCH closer to Jersey Ave (which arguably would still provide faster svc to Nwk during the rush). But it would be interesting to see how many current JA folks migrate to WT @ Hillsborough.

#86590  by BlockLine_4111

How far is Amwell from Triangle Rd ?

Does Amwell Rd. have an overpass over the track(s) ?

#86596  by F23A4

BlockLine_4111 wrote:How far is Amwell from Triangle Rd ?
They're about .5 - 1 mile apart
BlockLine_4111 wrote:Does Amwell Rd. have an overpass over the track(s) ?
yes.