Railroad Forums 

• Ocean City Service

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#729578  by railworker1987

I'm friends with a Gentleman who is majority of the responsibility of why the right of way still exist and has been demolished completely, that he's working on getting A light rail service type motive power back into OC just like the RiverLine that runs Trenton to Camden. He states that all you have to do is lay it in the road like they did in Camden and use the old 10 st. Station. NJT Still owns the right of way even though the ignorance of people caused them to build close and or plant gardens on right of way, but SOL to them if they do such an operation they'll lose their stupid gardens. They could even incorporate a bath out to the old bridge and build a pier so that the fisherman don't complain.
 #729684  by JJMDiMunno

railworker1987 wrote:I'm friends with a Gentleman who is majority of the responsibility of why the right of way still exist and has been demolished completely, that he's working on getting A light rail service type motive power back into OC just like the RiverLine that runs Trenton to Camden. He states that all you have to do is lay it in the road like they did in Camden and use the old 10 st. Station. NJT Still owns the right of way even though the ignorance of people caused them to build close and or plant gardens on right of way, but SOL to them if they do such an operation they'll lose their stupid gardens. They could even incorporate a bath out to the old bridge and build a pier so that the fisherman don't complain.
Didn't they sell a portion of the ROW for that branch to the city of Ocean City? The portion north of 36th street is mostly part of Haven Avenue now...I'm pretty sure that is owned by the city...

Mike DiMunno
 #730070  by PARailWiz

JJMDiMunno wrote:
railworker1987 wrote:I'm friends with a Gentleman who is majority of the responsibility of why the right of way still exist and has been demolished completely, that he's working on getting A light rail service type motive power back into OC just like the RiverLine that runs Trenton to Camden. He states that all you have to do is lay it in the road like they did in Camden and use the old 10 st. Station. NJT Still owns the right of way even though the ignorance of people caused them to build close and or plant gardens on right of way, but SOL to them if they do such an operation they'll lose their stupid gardens. They could even incorporate a bath out to the old bridge and build a pier so that the fisherman don't complain.
Didn't they sell a portion of the ROW for that branch to the city of Ocean City? The portion north of 36th street is mostly part of Haven Avenue now...I'm pretty sure that is owned by the city...

Mike DiMunno
Did they ever even truly "own" the portion in Haven Avenue? Normally when railroads run in street they have some right by City Ordinance to be there or some other government permit.
 #730100  by nayaugpark52

It isn't James Riffin, is it?
 #730160  by WaitinginSJ

For the most part I'm for it, but I don't think it can run exactly up the old right of way. Maybe looking at something that connects to Sommers Point and A.C.? Definitely should be more direct than the old route.
 #730171  by JJMDiMunno

Part of the old ROW could be utilized I think...particularly the portion geographically south of 36th Street down to 51st. That's all railroad-intact and still undeveloped...

I do agree however that the route should head in the direction of Atlantic City, and possibly mimic the route of the old SFL once you get geographically out of Ocean City.

Mike DiMunno
 #730388  by EDM5970

I don't think Mr. Riffin is involved personally in this one. I understand that he has delegated this project to his Chief Financial Officer, one Eric Strohmeyer. I heard a rumor that they are going to put traction motors under the Boonton Ping-Pongs and string up some catenary. (And my Ping-Pong offer still stands-) :wink: