Railroad Forums 

• Reviving passenger service between West Trenton & Bound Brook

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#70354  by JLo

zakharin wrote:I suppose an alternative of West Trenton to Westfied instead of my current Hamilton to Rahway could be useful. What would the time difference be?
Probably substantial. NEC top speeds top exceed 125 mph in between Hamilton and Rahway. Some NJT equipment is permitted to run 100 mph on that line. Nowhere on the RVL do speeds top 79 mph (and I have never seen a train on the RVL hit that speed). You might get that speed on a rebuilt WT. Plus, service is diesel on the RVL/WT, as opposed to electric on the NEC, which accelerates quickly. All in all, WT service will have a tough time coming close in time to the NEC, unless express service is instituted with significant skip-stopping.

#70398  by Ken W2KB

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I am not quite sure about where a good place where the connection from the ex-CNJ to the ex-Reading would be. I know for a fact that both lines leave the RVL area at Bound Brook
Not so. The plan is to restore what was the actual Reading Junction with the CNJ, located about a mile and one-half west of the present Bridgewater Station, some 3 miles west of Bound Brook. Rather than stop at Bound Brook, a stop at Bridgewater Station would be far better since (1) it is more convenient off of I-287 and (2) it has unlimited free parking.

#70443  by TGIV

Top speed is 80 on the RVL. Trains get to 80 between Dunllen and Bound Brook, Bridgewater and Somerville. The new connection be just east of Pohemus Ave MP 32 where Brook interlocking was before it was moved east of Bound Brook MP 30 . The rightaway goes right by the garbage transfer staion

#70540  by njtmnrrbuff

Actually moving the diverging point just west of Bridgewater would make sense. A new major park and ride lot could be built there.

#70550  by nick11a

That's a neat shot with the then new with the old equipment.

#70578  by Zeke

Here we go again another STUDY ! I am convinced these studies are nothing more than corrupt NJ Pols giving their connected buddies, who own consulting firms, work. Let 's see about two years from now The STUDY will be released, the newspapers will print the article....lo and behold the crooks in Trenton will say" Yes it's a good idea but we can't do it cause we are broke." What a sad joke. And of course four years from now a new STUDY will be required...etc....etc.....etc. I am convinced that there will be no new Heavy rail construction in this state for at least 10 more years with the exception of Xanadu. The West Trenton line will take pressure off the NEC, that is it's basic purpose and to a lesser degree Rt.206. The NEC is starting to resemble an extension of the NYC subway system, even the off peak trains are packed. Of course West Trenton line service will be implemented in 2014 or later, We must study!

#70589  by Guest

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Actually moving the diverging point just west of Bridgewater would make sense. A new major park and ride lot could be built there.
Huh? It has always been proposed to have the junction west of Bridgewater. And there already is a major park and ride lot there, with free parking.

#70623  by jfrey40535

Hey at least you guys are talking about it. Here in Philly, all we do is axe service, then again, it was SEPTA who axed the West Trenton-Jersey City Service in 1981 anyway.

Does anyone know why SEPTA was the original operator of the service after the Reading Company ceased, as opposed to NJT? Was it only because the Crusader was a one-seat ride from Reading Terminal?

#70644  by JLo

Bob, nice avatar. You look good in a uniform, but I didn't know you were that old. :wink:

#70675  by F23A4

JLo wrote:Bob, nice avatar. You look good in a uniform, but I didn't know you were that old. :wink:

#70748  by thebigc

That "old" screamer was only five months "old" at the time!

But the Geep and coaches were really "old". :-)