Railroad Forums 

• Beep and GP40

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#638398  by ramonesfan

digging around online its worded that they are planning on rebuilding the Beep but, they are undecided on if they will replace with another 567 or replace with a 645. She is still in the book end scheme. heres a link to wikieida http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beep_(locomotive)
 #640740  by Komachi

As beloved as the Beep is...

It is, after all, some sixtyj-odd years old and a one-off locomotive. Odds are, it will be perminantly retired and put on display somewhere on BNSF property or donated to a museum somewhere (and I'm NOT a betting man, so don't ask me where my money is).

Mind you, I would love to see the Beep still earn a living at the shops, but given the economic climate, it's doubtful.

Still, BNSF has a reputation for running older equipment, so... mayhapse they will rebuild it... stronger, better...

** Cue theme from "The Six Million Dollar Man" **
 #640852  by ramonesfan

note that the 567 and the 645 are both diesel engines. so she could either have the same engine inside her or a bigger powerful engine.
 #660748  by Tom6921

Has there been any news on the Beep? It should find its way to a museum if BNSF isn't going to keep it around. With several museums starting to re-evaluate their collection, I wonder which museum the Beep will go to.
 #660789  by atsf sp

Tom6921 wrote:With several museums starting to re-evaluate their collection, I wonder which museum the Beep will go to.
That would be a reason why it wouldn't go to a museum. The museums are re-evalutating to see what they can rid their collection of.
 #672065  by D.Carleton

Just to bring this full circle Trains.com is reporting the Beep has been donated to the Western American Railroad Museum in Barstow, CA.

In a related note the SF30B has been acquired by the Minnesota Commercial Railway.
 #672148  by atsf sp

Cool. Its nice to see rail preservation in action and not the scrap works.
 #672157  by mtuandrew

D.Carleton wrote:...In a related note the SF30B has been acquired by the Minnesota Commercial Railway.
THAT'S WHAT THAT WAS!!!

I was driving southbound down I-35W yesterday morning, paralleling the MNNR. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a blue-and-yellow locomotive running hammerhead with the daily northbound train. Couldn't stop, I was late to work, and it had already gone under an overpass so it was hidden from view. Now that I know it's around, I'll run down to the Minnesota Commercial's roundhouse and take a picture in its new digs.
 #724968  by atsf sp

You can still see the BNSF markings under the paint over those letters.