Railroad Forums 

• Browsing Railroad.net on Mobile Devices

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#609990  by l008com

Have you guys considered adding an iPhone friendly portal to the forum? I've actually been looking for an iPhone phpBB portal to suggest and so far can't find any... but once someone does make one, what are the odd of you guys adding it to the site? You could modify the 'notification' emails so they contain links to new posts using the main site, and below that, links to the forum using the iPhone portal.

That would be great to be able to read and post to the forum from my phone. Also I'm not talking about anything super fancy, like one of those iphone web apps that looks like a native iphone app, with the custom buttons and screen slides etc. Just a basic version of this site designed for narrow screens
 #609997  by l008com

Heres one!

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1304135

Great. If you implement it (please implement it) make sure you modify new post notification emails so we can go right from email on the iphone, to the iphone rr.net forum without having to jump through hoops. That would be sweeeeeeet.
 #611319  by Plate F

I'd like to visit on my ipod too...the site is so wide it ridiculous, but at least I can tilt sideways. Still its a pain though.
 #611408  by l008com

For the record, this is what this very thread looks like on an iphone. If you are on a typical (.258 mm) desktop display, this is actual size. But the iPhone is a high resolution screen so the image will be sharper than it appears below. But the size of things are still exactly right. Especially those tiny buttons, fun fun.

#611429  by l008com

I find that extraordinarily tiny, don't you?

And yes you can zoom in, but then you're dealing with srolling up and down AND left and right, plus pinching to get the zoom just right. Compared to how effortlessly iphone-friendly websites view, normal "wide" websites really suck. Plus when its time to log in, form fields and buttons are super tiny so you have to zoom WAAAAY in for those. An iPhone portal would really kick ass.
 #611800  by Otto Vondrak

l008com wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Send a note to the webmaster, see what he says.
He said he'd add it to the list. Anything else you want me to ask him?

:-D :-D :-D :-D
Ha! No, I guess we're good.

-otto-
 #611803  by l008com

Posting to and reading this website would be my second favorite thing to do when I'm sitting on the orange line, second to staring out the window...
 #616489  by gprimr1

I used to view this site allot on my Moto Q and the issue was the browser and processor didn't have enough power to render the CSS information.

But it's a lot better on my HTC Touch Pro.
 #670844  by MEC407

I've viewed/posted to this site a few times on my friend's iPod Touch, and while it takes a little getting used to, it wasn't too bad. That said, a mobile-friendly section of the site would be pretty cool, and would be particularly useful for other mobile devices whose browsers and screens aren't as nice as the iPhone/iPod. :wink: