Railroad Forums 

• Lite Version

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#544159  by gprimr1

Does PHPBB3 support a lite version of this site (without the CSS coding and such, similar to the old site)?

One of my favorite ways to pass the time when not at my computer was to read this site on my smart phone, but with the new forum, it's become too data intense for my Moto Q.
 #550970  by Mike Roque

gprimr1 wrote:Does PHPBB3 support a lite version of this site (without the CSS coding and such, similar to the old site)?

One of my favorite ways to pass the time when not at my computer was to read this site on my smart phone, but with the new forum, it's become too data intense for my Moto Q.
We may be able to offer a theme for mobile users. I'd also like to offer RSS feeds. I'll look into it.
 #552976  by gprimr1

That would be awesome. The issue appears to be the styles and CSS. The mobile browsers can't render the images and styles. Also, the new forum pulls about 300K of data; whereas the old forum only pulled about 100k.

Is there a way to offer a text only version, no themes or anything?

I can also tell you (if you don't know) that mobile browsers identify themselves as such, so you could probably set it to automatically send requests from mobile browsers to the text only page.