Railroad Forums 

• What are "bots" and why are they viewing the site?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#550930  by Tommy Meehan

There was one "viewing" the General Discussions Railroad Operations forum with me a while ago. You know at the bottom of each forum's thread page, where it shows who's currently viewing the forum? It listed me, one guest and "MSNMEDIA bot." I thought *maybe* it was someone's weird screen name but it wasn't clickable. So it was a thingy not a human???

"Shhh!" "What?" "Don't look around but there's something in here with us!"
 #550946  by Marty Feldner

Googlebot also shows up, there are others. Short version, they are automated programs from search engines, 'crawling' the web to add to their databases.

It's basically how they keep themselves up-to-date. And, they've been a part of the WWW almost from the beginning in the early nineties
 #551388  by Otto Vondrak

Yes, we can configure the software to allow webcrawler "bots" to scan and catalog the content of our web site. That makes it more searchable with the popular search engine sites. It's nothing malicious, it actually helps all of us.

-otto-