Railroad Forums 

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#542820  by pablo

Can we still locate the posts that are new since our last visit? I don't see it here.

Thanks!

Dave Becker
 #543001  by pablo

Thanks!

I don't think I saw that link at first...but it's there now. I appreciate it!

Dave Becker
 #544037  by crij

Along the same line, I sort of got used to just panning down the forum list to see which ones got new postings, which was shown through the use of 2 different icons, the same thing happened with individual postings in each forum. Is this a functionality that was lost with the new version of phpBB, a feature that was not turned on, or something I can change in my profile?

It seems a little counter intuitive to have to use the view all new posts when there is a large group of the forums I have little interest in, especially since they are sorted by posting time and not by forum.

Thank you,

Rich C.
 #546124  by crij

I hate to put it this way, but for those of us with color perception problems,... that sucks! On my screen, if I try hard I can barely tell the difference due the line weight of the icon.

I wonder if there is a way (probably a webmaster adjustment) to have different icon images or change the colors to something further apart on the color wheel, ie dark red and bright yellow? Or even do what is done on other boards, the forums and discussions with a new entry are in bold letters and ones that have been read previously are not.

Just a thought,

RIch C.
 #550446  by mu26aeh

Well, here's something else. I've noticed that the topics stay red forever unless I go into and read the messages. If I am not interested in the topic, I don't go in it. Before, if you just clicked on the forum, the new messages would "disappear" regardless of reading the topics.
 #550529  by Ken V

If you want to reset the new topic icon all you need to do is click on "Mark topics read" at the top right of the topic list. In other words, this makes the topics not read not red.
 #550568  by mu26aeh

I see, thanks for the tip.

Wave of the future, more interactive forum pages where you do more and the program does less!!! :-D
 #554793  by dj_paige

On the old board, you didn't have to do anything to have an icon showing which posts were new since you last visited a particular forum. It just happened automatically. On the new board, we either have to click "Mark Topics Read" or actually open the post.

Can we get something like the old board which automatically knows when you visited the forum last and only shows you the posts since that time? I prefer software to do this rather than me having to remember to click "Mark Topics Read".
 #554985  by GOLDEN-ARM

Although I haven't tried it, it seems you might be able to use the "User Control Panel" to do something like you want. Going into that area, you can click on "Overview Profile Board", the third tab in the menus. Go to left side, and look for the "Edit display options". It looks like you can change the settings to show only the topics posted in the last day. If you visit once a day, or so, this might be what you want. I just "mark all topics read" as the last thing I do, before I leave. There's still a lot of stuff in the Control Panel area, I haven't used, but you might give it a shot.........

Overview Profile Board preferences Private messages Usergroups Friends & Foes
Edit global settings

Edit posting defaults

Edit display options

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Display topics from previous days: All Topics
1 day
7 days
2 weeks
1 month
3 months
6 months
1 year
Display topics ordering by: Author
Post time
Replies
Subject
Views
Display topic order direction: Ascending
Descending
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 day
7 days
2 weeks
1 month
3 months
6 months
1 year
Display posts ordering by: Author
Post time
Subject
Display post order direction: Ascending
Descending

Board index The team • Delete all board cookies • All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ] Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group