Railroad Forums 

• About the recent forum changes

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#349892  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Otto Vondrak wrote:Matthew, there shouldn't be any scrolling to visit the Amtrak forum... it's featured top of the list on the home page...

... does anyone ever look at the home page?

-otto-
Thanks for the tip about the home page, it does have nice articles. I'll be sure to visit it now & then... I always go to the "View Posts Since Last Visit" link when I log on.

#352934  by Schuylkill Valley

I think you'll do a great job. and this railroad forum I think is one the best on the Internet.

You'll have a good new year,
Len Shaner, Jr.

#353749  by CIOR

So, where are the GREAT THINGS we are suppose to see?

#356697  by Otto Vondrak

... I'd say you could expect to see some more positive changes this spring. We're currently developing a number of new ideas, but as with all good things, they take time to develop. We'd rather not discuss specifics right now, but we'll keep everyone posted as best we can.

-otto-

#537082  by Amtrak7

The forum is in relatively good shape. Complaints:
Why isn't there a 'General' forum for the Class I section, like exists in other sections?
Why is the error of too many users in the database getting more and more frequent?
The testing forum isn't cleaned out daily, as claimed.

A biggie:
The login system is wierd. To login for any amount time, here is what I do.

1) Enter my username in a case-sensitive fashion. 'Amtrak7' works, 'amtrak7' doesn't.
2) I must check the remember box, or I don't get logged in.
If I don't do exactly that, the login screen reloads, with the sid in the address bar. My username isn't on the top of the screen.

#537382  by Mike Roque

Amtrak7 wrote:Why isn't there a 'General' forum for the Class I section, like exists in other sections?
The general discussion forums are intended to be a catch-all for categories that don't have a forum for every possible topic in that category. All Class I railroads have their own forum, so there was no need for a general forum as such.
Amtrak7 wrote:Why is the error of too many users in the database getting more and more frequent?
Because RAILROAD.NET is getting more popular, of course! :)

Seriously, we are getting increased traffic and activity levels, and we are working on upgrading to a new version of the forums and a faster server that should significantly improve site performance.
Amtrak7 wrote:The testing forum isn't cleaned out daily, as claimed.
Thanks. The testing forum was being checked automatically every day for topics older than 7 days. I've changed it to check every day for topics that haven't been posted to in 1 day.
Amtrak7 wrote:The login system is wierd.
Login problems are almost always a cookie problem. Try this.
 #542834  by Ricky Smith

I think someone needs to move the User Info on each post back to the left side, last I checked most people in the US don't start reading from the right :-P. I like to know who posted a post and read the post.
 #542867  by Amtrak7

The new software fixes the login.
Does it mean less of those 'Too many connections' errors?
 #542882  by mtuandrew

Two things:

I got an error saying that my password was unable to convert. Eventually the software let me log in, but it took quite a while.

Also, when I click on a link in this iteration of the board, it doesn't pop up a new window or tab like it used to. Can this be changed to open in a new window again?
 #543354  by DutchRailnut

Ricky Smith wrote:I think someone needs to move the User Info on each post back to the left side, last I checked most people in the US don't start reading from the right :-P. I like to know who posted a post and read the post.
I agree having posters name on right and his/her avatar is just weird, kind of backassward.
The forum looks great but please put the user info back on the left.
 #543440  by edbac333

I can now log in and post directly from AOL.I don't have to sign off and go over to Internet Explorer anymore. Great Job! :-D
 #544878  by UPRR engineer

Hows this warning system i saw work there Otto? I thought about giving G-A one just to see what happens. :-D

I like the new way we can merge like topics together, along with the other tools. If ya could tell us how that works and how the "reporting inappropriate posts" icon thing works. When someone clicks on that does that give the Mods a PM or shoot something to you and Mike?