Railroad Forums 

• Links in posts spawning new pages

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#542948  by Steve F45

I noticed that when someone posts a link to a website for lets say railpictures.net that when you click it, the link opens on this page and you have to go back if you want to use railroad.net. You used to be able to click the link and it would open in a new tab or window. Is this just one bug that will get worked out?
 #543458  by Steve F45

i can't remember if i wrote that title or it got edited. But its starting to get annoying everytime i click on a link that someone has posted in a message and it just goes to that page and if you want to go back to here, you hit the back button. While I know people are probably going to say "well then just hit the back key". But im so used to ever site opening up in a new tab/page when clicked, so when i finish my natural reaction is to close it and when I do i close out the entire IE webpage.
 #543534  by bellstbarn

Maybe you have the option to right-click and select "Open in a new tab." I have that option on my versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari. It's easy.
 #543540  by scottychaos

Whever I open a link, on any page or forum anywhere on the internet, I always *right* click
and choose "open in new window"..been a habit of mine for a decade now..

this way I never need to know or care how a particular page or forum opens links..
I always get a new page, no matter what..

Scot
 #543565  by ricebrianrice

You can also, middle click in Firefox to open in a new tab.

But I agree that It is annoying, I have closed the window also.

Brian
 #544061  by MEC407

Agreed -- I was accustomed to the way the old version of the site handled links... but I'm trying to get used to the new version. I've often been in the habit of right-clicking links on other sites in order to open them in a new tab, but never got into that habit here at RAILROAD.NET because the site always did the work for me. I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of right-clicking when I'm here. :wink:
 #545377  by Finch

Most forums I'm on (including the previous version of this one) open a new window/tab when I left-click on a link. In fact, all over the internet there are websites or sections of websites set up like this. So while I don't know the details as to why or how this happens, it is clear to me that my internet browser or clicking habits are not the root cause. I suspect this forum can be set up so posted links open new windows/tabs, and I would greatly appreciate it if that happened. I don't think it's too much to ask. Thanks! :-)
 #548861  by Finch

Any news on whether it would be possible to have links spawn new windows/tabs instead of taking me away from RR.net?
 #552493  by John_Perkowski

IE 7 and Mozilla Firefox both allow you to set the tabbing. I have mine set to always open stuff in new tabs, not new windows. So far, I've not had to modify.

This version of phpbb works fine with my settings.
 #555196  by Finch

I have my Firefox set to open new links as tabs. However, that's not really the problem. It will not open a new window OR tab when I click on a posted link, regardless of what my settings are. It just takes me off this page to whatever the link is. If anyone has any further advice, I would appreciate it. I don't mean to complain too much (I can learn to middle-click), but this honestly seems like a problem that is not solvable from "my end." The older version of phpBB worked...maybe there's something with this new version that needs to be tweaked. :-)
 #567884  by mtuandrew

I'd like to bring this topic back up, as I've closed out of Railroad.net at least 5 times in the last few days. I don't have the option of middle-clicking on my laptop, and it does get annoying to right-click and select "open in new tab" (or control-click).

Could the admins possibly do something about this? Opening links in new tabs/windows seems to be standard for most other websites, and I think it was an admirable feature of the previous version of the forum. Thanks!
 #568681  by Otto Vondrak

I have a personal preference for spawning new windows, but I don't handle the programming matters. You should bring it up directly with the webmaster.

-otto-
 #574701  by Mike Roque

The new link functionality is a result of the new version of phpBB. Making links open in the same window by default gives everyone a choice as to whether to open in a new window/tab or not instead of forcing everyone to open in a new window. This decision by the phpBB people seems to make more sense because it gives everyone more control instead of forcing everyone one way or the other (depending on your opinion). Choice is better than no choice.

In most browsers, you can simply hold the Ctrl key when clicking a link to easily open links in a new window/tab.

I've added an FAQ topic on this.