Railroad Forums 

• should there be an explicit maximum size for inline photos?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#496582  by MBTA3247

I've noticed that on occasion an image gets posted in a thread that is considerably bigger than my browser window. This can be most annoying because it forces me (and, I assume, many other people) to scroll from side to side for every post on that page. Now I have nothing against photos being posted in threads in general, but when they're 6-megapixel images right off somebody's camera (with apologies to travelsoccerkid1), that's just annoying.

Another board I'm on explicitly states how big posted images can be. I propose that a similar rule. A limit of 1000-pixels wide seems like a reasonable size to me. That provides plenty of detail, while not stretching the page and excessive amount.

What do others think of this idea?

#496585  by Ken S.

I think 600x400 might be better for those still on 56k connections or using 800x600 screens.

#496627  by RussNelson

Upload it to flickr.com (at full resolution) and then use their "Blog This" to make a IMG link here.

#496686  by Ken S.

This image comes in at 500x375 and that appears to be a decent size for a pic to be posted in the threads.
 #496702  by Mike Roque

MBTA3247 wrote:I've noticed that on occasion an image gets posted in a thread that is considerably bigger than my browser window. This can be most annoying because it forces me (and, I assume, many other people) to scroll from side to side for every post on that page.
This won't be a problem in phpBB 3.0. It appears that they've put images in a div with overflow:hidden so that it doesn't stretch the container and therefore force the browser to scroll horizontally.

You can see a good example here:
http://www.ritmrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1091