Railroad Forums 

• Type 7 Overhaul Program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#414559  by orange1234

NETransit reports that 3667 has been repainted in a new dark green paint scheme and that all Type 7s will be repainted in this scheme when they get overhauled in 2008. Does anyone have a picture of this unit and does anyone know what's included in the overhaul program?

#414567  by jwhite07

Let's just hope it's not as horrible looking as that last (thankfully short-lived) attempt at a new paint scheme that they tried on 3800 and 3801 a few years ago...

#414577  by Arborway

I was just wondering the other day when the Type 7s were going to be brought in for a refit.

How long is the process expected to take?
jwhite07 wrote:Let's just hope it's not as horrible looking as that last (thankfully short-lived) attempt at a new paint scheme that they tried on 3800 and 3801 a few years ago...
Pics?

#414588  by jwhite07

Pics?
Here ya go:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20040 ... 111690.jpg

3600 and 3601 were painted in this scheme several years ago... one of them got ad-wrapped shortly afterward (IIRC 3601 for Coors Light), and both were repainted teal and gray after only a few months.

#414600  by Arborway

jwhite07 wrote:
Pics?
Here ya go:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20040 ... 111690.jpg

3600 and 3601 were painted in this scheme several years ago... one of them got ad-wrapped shortly afterward (IIRC 3601 for Coors Light), and both were repainted teal and gray after only a few months.
That's actually not too bad, it does scream "1970s" but part of me really likes it. The other recoils in horror.

#414626  by sixflagscoasters

I think that is the same green and white that was used on the Type 6 and Type 7.

I think that is a nice paint scheme.

But it looks similar to the Commuter Rails new look (the lightning bolt painted line style).

I think that White-Yellow-Green paint looks 100% better than what they use now, which is the Grey and Teal colors.

Maybe they will go back to that look instead of trying to match the Type 8s.

#414645  by MassBayMC1131

There was never a "type 6", and from what I was told, the 7's are going to be painted back to Green and White scheme during their mid life rehab.

#414658  by mattster

Hmm I don't understand the reason behind this. They match the Type 8s right now as well as the 1800s and forthcoming 700s. The T moves toward uniformity and then abandons it?

#414668  by danib62

I don't think that picture is of the paint scheme that netransit is referring to.
This photo was taken at the T Riverside yard
Car 3601 shown in a beautiful but rejected paint scheme
It was in may 2003. This picture has been circulating for a while.

#414702  by redline43

What is this new "dark green" paint scheme like? Pictures?

#414756  by jamesinclair

mattster wrote:Hmm I don't understand the reason behind this. They match the Type 8s right now as well as the 1800s and forthcoming 700s. The T moves toward uniformity and then abandons it?
I always liked the white/green more than silver/teal on the 7s, it makes them look older.

#414757  by jwhite07

I'd make an argument in favor of the silver because it looks more "modern" and is a decent color to hide a little bit of grime (white is a poor choice for an agency that thinks nothing of skipping a run through the wash rack from time to time). But I do think it's high time to dump this silly teal color Breda insisted on in favor of the green that the MBTA, Cambridge Seven Associates, and Frederick Law Olmstead himself intended!

#414828  by sixflagscoasters

MassBayMC1131 wrote:There was never a "type 6", and from what I was told, the 7's are going to be painted back to Green and White scheme during their mid life rehab.
I know there was never a type 6, I meant to say LRV.

And that is good that they are going back to the Green and White scheme. The Teal and Grey is just ugly. I think the teal swoop up at the ends of the cars on the drivers side looks ugly because it is not symmetrical to the door side.

#414861  by Gerry6309

Paint schemes have always been a bone of contention with the MBTA. As long as the cars seem to be being used more as Apple Computer billboards, the gray/silver shows up the contrasting ads quite well. The older orange scheme at Mattapan wouldn't do as well on that . On the other hand the Yellow/white scheme on the new buses, which is a descendent of the older (1970s) bus scheme with the blue stripe replacing one black stripe seems to be popular, as do the Orange and Blue Line schemes without the stripes. The Stainless Steel schemes used on various rail cars and the silver line buses are resistant to vandalism, but seem harder to keep clean in general. The Type 7 & 8 scheme with the teal has visibility problems and isn't too popular in this community, where photography is an issue, but makes a great background for those Apple ads! Hmmmm.

As an aside, I know I might get some flack for talking about bus schemes here, but the MBTA has always been one of the most integrated transit systems, and the previously mentioned Cambridge Seven was an attempt to create a system wide scheme.

The important issue is: Are the cars easily recognized by operators of other vehicles on the street and pedestrians? If the answer is "Yes" then the scheme is ok. Otherwise, as Abe Lincoln is reputed to have said, "You can please some of the people..."