Railroad Forums 

• new forum , Railroad economics and politics ????

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#395893  by David Benton

it seems these topics cause problems for moderators , as they generally stray from the forum there are started in . especially the amtrak forum . generally theyre moved to railroad operations , but seem to die there .
Perhaps a forum that covers this subject would work .

#398292  by JoeG

I like this idea. It might get some of the political discussions off the Amtrak forum, and it might turn out to be useful and interesting.

#398300  by CNJ

I'll be happy to volunteer to help moderate this, provided we can get some other folks assigned to help out.

#398312  by JoeG

I'd be happy to join Mr Hensley as co-mod.

#398316  by David Benton

I could be the "nightwatchman "moderator if required , to keep an eye on it while you guys sleep . (different timezone)
 #398558  by henry6

Definitely a good idea. Politics, theories, etc. all transend individual forums and end up looking and sounding far removed from the general flow of wherevere it is posted. I have been caught so many times that now I am almost reluctant to post. (Note I said "almost"!) I'd be glad to be of any help I could.

#398673  by David Benton

I know what you mean Henry , you can see a threads going to be locked at some stage , so why bother posting .
I don't think this forum would have mass appeal , but i see maybe 10-20 regular posters on here who enjoy discussing economics .

#398725  by CRail

The demand is clearly there since threads are locked for this all the time. When threads start going that way these discussions can simply be sent over to the proposed forums. I moderate on another forum site and I avoid the lock button at all costs. There are much more creative ways of moderating than locking everything. I enjoy re-arranging my forum to make sure everyone gets the chance to say what they have to. This is a good way to avoid locked threads.

#398974  by SooLineRob

Politics, religion, and unions. Bad topics. Always degrades into a "...my candidate/supreme being/union is better than yours..." People will eventually cross the line with these topics, and this website will suffer as a whole. The argument will spill over and pollute the other forums in a subtle manner, and new readers/members will pick up on the undercurrent and shy away, reading between-the-lines and choose not to jump in the discussion fearing reprisal by the warring factions.

Economics is benign enough, so why create a new forum? Anything to do with this should be directed within the specific forum whether it's Amtrak, Virginia, NYC, etc.

#399016  by dansapo

SooLineRob wrote:Politics, religion, and unions. Bad topics. Always degrades into a "...my candidate/supreme being/union is better than yours..." People will eventually cross the line with these topics, and this website will suffer as a whole. The argument will spill over and pollute the other forums in a subtle manner, and new readers/members will pick up on the undercurrent and shy away, reading between-the-lines and choose not to jump in the discussion fearing reprisal by the warring factions.

Economics is benign enough, so why create a new forum? Anything to do with this should be directed within the specific forum whether it's Amtrak, Virginia, NYC, etc.

I agree
These type of topics are always trouble.One big verbal gangbang.
Oh boy that sound like fun.Not a good idea
my 2 cents

#399122  by David Benton

the same way politics is moderated in other forums , if it doesnt pertain to railroading then its moderated . but , it doesnt have to be locked / moved because it doesnt restrict to the one railroad .
 #399175  by henry6

One: if here is not the place, then where? Two: if well and properly moderated, it will work. Three: it will certainly be less frustrating than being shut down because someone doesn't like your politics.

RULE ONE: NO PERSONAL ATTACKS. DISCUSS THE ISSUE, AND ONLY THE ISSUE, AT HAND. THE OPPONENT'S VIEW IS JUST AS IMPORTANT (AND MAYBE AS VALID) AS YOURS, BUT HIS ANCESTORY AND PATERNITY, ETHNICITY, EDUCATION, ETC., ARE NOT PARTS OF THE DISCUSSION.

RULE TWO: MODERATOR HAS TO BE 100% IMPARTIAL IN EVERY AND ALL DISCUSSIONS AND WILL HAVE FINAL AUTHORITY IN HIS/HER ACTION.

RULE THREE: REREAD RULES ONE AND TWO.

I seriously would like to see such a forum on railroad.net because there is a lot of politics and theories and ideas that get shut off (and probably rightfully so) when brought up in specific forums. This would give the outlet for such talks to be explored. At least try it for a month or two.
 #399195  by CNJ

henry6 wrote:One: if here is not the place, then where? Two: if well and properly moderated, it will work. Three: it will certainly be less frustrating than being shut down because someone doesn't like your politics.

RULE ONE: NO PERSONAL ATTACKS. DISCUSS THE ISSUE, AND ONLY THE ISSUE, AT HAND. THE OPPONENT'S VIEW IS JUST AS IMPORTANT (AND MAYBE AS VALID) AS YOURS, BUT HIS ANCESTORY AND PATERNITY, ETHNICITY, EDUCATION, ETC., ARE NOT PARTS OF THE DISCUSSION.

RULE TWO: MODERATOR HAS TO BE 100% IMPARTIAL IN EVERY AND ALL DISCUSSIONS AND WILL HAVE FINAL AUTHORITY IN HIS/HER ACTION.

RULE THREE: REREAD RULES ONE AND TWO.

I seriously would like to see such a forum on railroad.net because there is a lot of politics and theories and ideas that get shut off (and probably rightfully so) when brought up in specific forums. This would give the outlet for such talks to be explored. At least try it for a month or two.
I agree with Henry....

We proper moderation this forum could be very successful.

So...what say you railroad.net managers?...You already have your volunteers to help moderate.

Lets make this forum happen!
 #399212  by GOLDEN-ARM

henry6 wrote:RULE TWO: MODERATOR HAS TO BE 100% IMPARTIAL IN EVERY AND ALL DISCUSSIONS AND WILL HAVE FINAL AUTHORITY IN HIS/HER ACTION
I think God has better things to do, than to come moderate THIS particular forum....... :wink:
100% impartial? I say 100% IMPOSSIBLE............... :(
This forum, would be a minefield, time-bomb and a barrel of agitated, venomous snakes, all in the same room, at the same time. Care to enter?.......... :P