Railroad Forums 

• Future Railroad Employees

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#377064  by trevor macpherson

Are there like any colleges that have classes for railroad engineering???? I would think that would help big time for me to join NS or CP here on the D&H.

#377450  by Railcar_Man

After I graduate highschool, I am planning to go to law school. In which I am planning to become a police officer.

#398808  by chrsjrcj

Im planning 3 completely different plans

1) Acela Express engineer

2) Amtrak Cascades engineer or conductor

3) im good at the weather so meteorology is my backup plan

#399102  by stevo

i'm looking at three careers right now too:

software design
electrical engineer
railroading

not sure which one i'll go into yet, so i'm exploring all three. next year in school i'm taking classes for the first two, but obviously there are no classes for railroading :( .

but whatever i go into, i will still be a railfan!

#411415  by acela 2036

Going to be an acela engineer soon!

#415460  by NJTKid01

Since I've scouting R.R. throughout the Northeast, I would like to work for really any R.R. in the NE. But my top choices are:
1). NJ Transit
2). SEPTA (Because I just love to railfan the system)
3). LIRR
4). Metro North
5). Amtrak, possibly

In terms of capacity with these R.R.'s, it most likely would be operations, like conductor or the top job of being an engineer.

#415521  by Murjax

I am thinking I will someday start a completly new rail service somewhere in the northeast but I am not exactly sure what service is needed just yet but I have some ideas. :)

#415705  by stevo

wanna start a scenic road?

#415717  by Murjax

stevo wrote:wanna start a scenic road?
Well I was thinking more along the lines of a commuter type railroad (maybe with highspeed maglev) but I don't have all the details yet. :)

#415730  by stevo

ya...that would be a wee bit pricy...

#415759  by Guilford Guy

err...
If I were you I'd build a commuter line from Portland to Fryeburg Maine... Maybe rebuild some of the mountain div. There was as study not to long ago and 9 industries said they would use rail... It would also work as a commute for people going into Portland. First you need to win the lottery...

#415799  by Otto Vondrak

Stevo- being a volunteer at a train museum is a lot different than working for a real railroad.

If you guys have specific questions about working for the railroad, you should check out our employment forum....

#416005  by stevo

guilford guy is right. there is no way any of us will be able to pull this off anyway, we just don't have money. we're teenagers, remember?

#416166  by Guilford Guy

Murjax wrote:I am thinking I will someday start a completly new rail service somewhere in the northeast but I am not exactly sure what service is needed just yet but I have some ideas. :)
Key word someday...