Railroad Forums 

• Has there been a change in PM notification?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#366697  by JoeG

It used to be that if someone sent you a PM, you would get an email, but you would also get a message box when you visited the RRNET Forums.
This message box notification has apparently been disabled.
The problem is that I think some members don't keep their RRNET profile updated with their current email address. So, without the message box, they may never look for their messages. I have sent a couple of PMs that have sat in my Outbox for weeks; I think that's because those members don't think to manually check their messages.

Could we get the message box notification of PMs back?

#366955  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm not sure it ever really "went away". There are two different options, in your personal profile, to notify you of personal messages. One sends you an email, the other notifies you, on the list of items, under the rr dot net banner. Clicking them for on/off, sets your personall defaults, for the messages. Mine are both on. I get email notification when I log onto my computer, and I get a notice "You have new messages" under the rr dot net banner. Even if you change your email addy, the notifaction is seen, on your screen, if you haven't opted out of that function. Of course, I might be wrong, in understanding what you are saying is not working here. Just how I see it working, from my end......... :wink:

#366957  by JoeG

Hmm...It may be that I have a popup blocker turned on, and that turned of notification. I turned off the popup blocker; we'll see if that fixes the problem. But many people use popup blockers...

#367008  by Robert Paniagua

That'sw right, most browsers have popup blockers thus preventing you from seeing that PM little box. But I check my email first to see if I got PMd.

#367015  by JoeG

Yeah, I get emails, that's why it took me a long time to notice the lack of the PM messagebox. Thing is, I'd sent a couple of PMs to members who were on a lot but who never read my PMs. If they had changed email addresses and not changed their RRNET profile, and if they didn't explicitly check their PMs, the messages could sit there for a long time.

#367056  by JoeG

I just got the PM message box. They were blocked by the browser popup blocker. Case closed. I must say the popup blocker turns out not to be such a great idea, since lots of websites use them.