Railroad Forums 

• Ghost Signal at Lehighton

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#185614  by Trackbolt

Is the target signal on the abandoned and empty LV mainline in Lehighton still operating? It was at the bottom of the Joint use of Facilities ramp from the CNJ mainline where it connected to the LV main at the east end of Packerton yard. I know it was still working a few years ago and it was eerie to see it at night with no tracks or trains present. I hope to get up that way before it gets too cold.

Thanks

Trackbolt

#185619  by metman499

Yes it it still operating. In order for the other signal to work properly it has to remain lit.

#353098  by AdamCKach

Resurrecting an old post...

Is this still around, and if so, does it still light up? It's been a year and change since the last post.

Thanks!

#353114  by metman499

It was when I last passed through that way in December.

#353155  by AdamCKach

Metman,

What's the exact location--is it private, viewable, etc.? Is it foot accessible? I'd like to take a photo of it in the location.

Thanks!

#353170  by metman499

It is very easily viewable. Head into Lehighton from the south on 209. The former Lehigh Valley, which has been paved over in the last few years for use as an access road further south, will be on your right. You will see the signal in a cut where there used to be a bridge over the Valley for the CNJ. The signal head will be facing you. If you come down from the north 209 splits through town and you will have to turn around after passing through town.

#353180  by AdamCKach

Many thanks, Metman.

#415757  by charlie6017

Anyone have photos to share of this ghost signal?

#417373  by AdamCKach

I believe I took these in March.

#417484  by charlie6017

Very cool pics, Adam......thanks for sharing! :-D

#417507  by TB Diamond

May well have been said before, but it is a ghost signal for a ghost train. Nice photos.

#418342  by GOLDEN-ARM

No tower, no bridge, no mainline. I felt like I was at a funeral. The shots are nice, but the loss is very real..... :( Couldn't tell from the pics, but is the station gone, as well? I'm depressed.
 #418772  by IRN750

Yes sorry to say the Station and Freight House are long gone replaced by a road around First St in Lehighton. There is also a road built on the old right of way from Lehighton down to old Mahoning yard where they have built a new sewer plant. also there is road built on the right of way from West Bowmanstown to about a half mile east of old Lizard Creek Int.They are all sad sights

#477963  by Chessie GM50

If the tracks are gone, why do they have to work?

P.S. On my browser, the pics are no longer there. Maybe they can be reloaded.

#477985  by metman499

It is easier to keep the signal lit. If they tore it out they would have to redo the wiring for the signals that still control the active track. (Photos show up fine in Firefox)