Railroad Forums 

• Your dreams for the New Year?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#338885  by RussNelson

What changes would you like to see in railroads for the coming year? Feel free to be realistic or fantastical.

(Moderators: feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum, but I couldn't find one.)

My (realistic) (ha!) (well, at least it doesn't violate any laws of physics or man) dream is for every ad-hoc rail-trail in New York State to be named, managed, and publicized; preferably in memory of the railroad it once was, so that none may be forgotten.

#338888  by ExEMDLOCOTester

EMD to return to the "Choo Choo of choice" status.

#339168  by gprimr1

1.) Increased funding for Amtrak

2.) Return of the Twilight Shoreliner (under this name)

3.) CSX finally investing in the B&O and the end of heat orders in MD.

and my wildest dream...

MTA Maryland buying or buying trackage rights, over the Pope's creek sub up grading it and creating the MARC Waldorf line.

#339399  by git a holt to it

A raise! :P

#339401  by ANDY117

More trains on the southern tier! (insert crowd laughing)

How many more times will the Buffalo Line get tied up before NS realizes this is a potentially useful route to NYC? And don't get me started on the ex. LV from Mehoopany to Scranton...

#339448  by powerpro69

Union Protection on Marking Up

#339637  by Otto Vondrak

When you work for the railroad, being "marked up" means you are available to work a train. This comes from when the "extra board" was really a chalkboard in an office with all the names of employees on it. Marks on a board. If your name was on there, you were "marked up" for service.

#339823  by Robert Paniagua

This one will be come true, hopefully, the new Greenbush Extension. Yes, I will ride that route from BOS to GRB when it debuts just for the heck of it.

#339869  by powerpro69

The first time you Mark Up is when you get through your training, then you have 2 months Derail (probation) after that 2 months, you then have Union Protection, before that, they can fire you for absolutly anything and have no problem doing it.

#340050  by git a holt to it

powerpro69 wrote:The first time you Mark Up is when you get through your training, then you have 2 months Derail (probation) after that 2 months, you then have Union Protection, before that, they can fire you for absolutly anything and have no problem doing it.
Thats odd, I got over my derail 60 days after my hire date and was still in training, same with my friend who works on the UP, as a matter of fact we could not mark up until we were in the union. that was 6 yrs ago but maybe its a regional thing.

You can't spell STUPID without UP. :-D

#341332  by RailroadersGal

Longer rest cycles between trains. I think that 12 hours on and 12 hours off sounds fair, but my RR'er would probably disagree with me because of the money but the lack of sleep scares the heck out of me.

#341355  by powerpro69

Plenty of time for sleep at signals and in sideings :-D

#341403  by RailroadersGal

powerpro69 wrote:Plenty of time for sleep at signals and in sideings :-D
Unless, of course, the railroader doesn't believe in sleeping at signals and in sidings....