Railroad Forums 

• RAILROAD.NET... now spam free?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#336337  by Otto Vondrak

Hey, I didn't get one spam report today... and I haven't seen any rougue messages show up anywhere... I think Mike's fix did the trick for now. Anyone else have anything to report on the spam front?

-otto-

#336548  by Noel Weaver

Otto and Mike, I hope you are able to keep it this way, you got my
support. Good Luck.
Noel Weaver

#336614  by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks Mike, and Otto. Notice you had no PM's from me today. I believe you guys nailed it. Kudos (again) to the staff at this great site........... :-D

#336620  by Wisconsin Railfan

Good work all!.. Thanks for eliminating the pests

#336687  by John_Perkowski

So far, nothing. Of course, the attacker always has the advantage of initiative and timing. I'll stay ready.

By the way, thank you for the help on the other issue yesterday as well!

#336740  by stilson4283

Looks like you can once again promote RR.net to the random people you meet railfanning/Model RR club/Train show/etc.

Chris
 #336769  by Aa3rt

Otto, and all,

I've been checking in repeatedly for the last two days. It looks like the most recent "house cleaning" has deleted a lot of offending posts and I haven't seen any of those odd user names that usually indicate a spam post.

I think its a little early to declare victory but things appear hopeful.

#336775  by Engineer James

All clear as a bell. Haven't seen one. What was Mike's trick?

#336806  by pablo

We don't ask questions like that because it may help spammers circumvent the process.

Dave Becker

#336830  by Mike Roque

The technology we're using to stop the spambots is out there...if you're really interested, take a look at phpBB.com, and read their forums.

The spambots will get smarter eventually, but the game we're in here is keeping our CAPTCHA technology ahead of their anti-CAPTCHA technology.

#336896  by Komachi

BTW,

Allow me to also express gratitude to both Otto and Mike, as well as my fellow moderators for their efforts to combat the recent spam situation. I would also like to thank the various other members who alerted me to spam in my forums while I was not around. A great show of teamwork that paid off.

But seriously, Mike, good job and let's hope this lasts a good, long while.

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."
- Thomas Jefferson