Railroad Forums 

• ATTENTION MODERATORS: Please delete spam on sight

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#335026  by Noel Weaver

Last night (Friday, Dec. 15th) I went out for my Friday evening of train
watching. First stop was the local commuter station (Tri-Rail) to see if I
could find out anything about the new cars, found out nothing but did see
two trains and got a newsletter.
Then to the Florida East Coast where I saw four trains in a one hour
period. Very productive evening.
I rarely run into other railfans around here but last night I did run into a
young man who is still in high school but very interested in railroads. The
talk arrived at computers eventually among other things and I asked him
if he checked out various railroad or organizations and he answered in the
affirmative.
I would have liked to refer him to railroaddotnet but I could not in good
conscience due to the obsene links that have appeared on here on a
frequent basis recently. His father is also a railfan so he said and I can't
imagine the hurt if he were to stumble onto someting obsene here so I
did not tell him. I truly wish I could have and if the leadership is able to
put a stop to spam and related junk, I will if I run across him again.
I can't believe that very many on here would refuse to put up the sum of
about 50 cents a week to be able to participate on here. In my opinion,
quality is more important than quantity.
Noel Weaver

#335035  by pablo

Noel, I have a hard time agreeing with your comments here.

There are a variety of reasons, but Noel, common sense suggests that no one should click on those links provided by the spam bots. I gather from a previous post that you clicked on one, and I'm not sure I can figure out how:
1. We've been told to never click on one.
2. There was nothing new provided by the spam bot to make you or I understand that there was useful information that the link might provide.
3. You've been here for some time, and know better.

Kids are much more web savvy than you or I, and to suggest that he not click on this site here because of the recent rash of spam is only a slight bit north of completely stupid. You have just made the decision to basically throw the baby out with the bath water, and that's not very smart to do.

Allow the site to get things straightened out, but until then, don't do anything stupid like that again. Don't play censor, but rather, allow them to see what's happening at this website, which is one of the most comprehensive sources of knowledge around.

Quality is more important than quantity, Noel, and there's no doubt that quality is what you'll usually find here. Don't discourage people from finding out on their own.

Dave Becker

#335080  by Noel Weaver

pablo wrote:Noel, I have a hard time agreeing with your comments here.

There are a variety of reasons, but Noel, common sense suggests that no one should click on those links provided by the spam bots. I gather from a previous post that you clicked on one, and I'm not sure I can figure out how:
1. We've been told to never click on one.
2. There was nothing new provided by the spam bot to make you or I understand that there was useful information that the link might provide.
3. You've been here for some time, and know better.

Kids are much more web savvy than you or I, and to suggest that he not click on this site here because of the recent rash of spam is only a slight bit north of completely stupid. You have just made the decision to basically throw the baby out with the bath water, and that's not very smart to do.

Allow the site to get things straightened out, but until then, don't do anything stupid like that again. Don't play censor, but rather, allow them to see what's happening at this website, which is one of the most comprehensive sources of knowledge around.

Quality is more important than quantity, Noel, and there's no doubt that quality is what you'll usually find here. Don't discourage people from finding out on their own.

Dave Becker
Yes, I hit a link that I should NOT have but I am sure that we have all hit
the wrong key or button on our computers at one time or another and it
was a simple mistake on MY part. I admit that.
I would not want to refer a young person to this sight only to have him hit
the kind of spam that appears on here from time to time. His father is a
fan too so I am sure that if he sees that stuff on here, he would not be
happy.
Sometimes people find something that they don't intend to find, maybe
just a bad wire in your mouse device could cause you a problem in that
regard.
Let's you and I just agree to disagree on this one.
Regards,
Noel Weaver

#335298  by CNJ

A way should be developed that this spam could get filtered out.

Its becoming quite annoying.

In the meantime, everyone should be protected with the latest spyware and firewalls. I use Spysweeper by Webroot, and I also use Zone Alarm. It seems to work very well on my system.

#335510  by David Benton

anyone with an email address is probably quite familiar with unwanted spam . i wouldnt let it stop me from recomending this site to any young person .

#335602  by Otto Vondrak

No true "young person" should be using this site without the permission or supervision of their parents... but then again, same thing goes for movies, television viewing and the like, eh? If Noel doesn't want to refer this site, that is his business. While we appreciate referrals, it's not a requirement of membership!

As far as the spam, we're trying to find a solution. We're not "allowing" spam to enter the board, and we're certainly not sponsoring it. These are sophisticated computer programs that are able to circumvent our approval process.

Mike and Jessy and myself all have day jobs, so we may not be able to respond to your inquiries right away. This is where we depend on our volunteer moderators to be our extra eyes to help spot and delete spam when it appears.

-otto-

#335795  by Mike Roque

I've installed a new CAPTCHA that should help stop automated registrations by spambots. Many people who have installed this mod have said that it stopped the spambots dead in their tracks.

If you do come across SPAM, please *note the username*, let us know so that we can process and remove the account, and then delete any SPAM postings. All we need is the username...we can find the topics from the username, but if the topics get deleted, we don't know the username.

#335803  by Mike Roque

Otto Vondrak wrote:Yes, do the thing Mike said. With the usernames.

-otto-
I knew we kept you around for a reason... :wink:

#335805  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Mike Roque wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Yes, do the thing Mike said. With the usernames.

-otto-
I knew we kept you around for a reason... :wink:
Otto Vondrak wrote: That's right... Mike's the brains... and I'm the beauty.

-otto-
I believe I'm gonna get sick....

LOCK PLEASE !! :wink: