Railroad Forums 

• RVL Whitehouse Passing Siding Progress

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#281309  by Ken W2KB

Underground conduit and accesses are installed. Ballast subbed is installed. About 1/3 to 1/2 of concrete ties are in place or ready to be spaced.

Appears to be moving forward at a good pace.
 #282376  by webman

I'm a regular commuter on the RVL and have been following the progress of the Whitehouse passing track with great interest. Does anyone know when the new schedule with increased service will begin? Does anyone know what the departure times in High Bridge in the AM and Newark in the PM will be?

Thanks in advance! :-)
 #282383  by transit383

webman wrote:I'm a regular commuter on the RVL and have been following the progress of the Whitehouse passing track with great interest. Does anyone know when the new schedule with increased service will begin? Does anyone know what the departure times in High Bridge in the AM and Newark in the PM will be?

Thanks in advance! :-)
I think 5423 is a definite extension to High Bridge (the 12:06pm departure from Newark), because on holidays this train runs as 8525 all the way up to High Bridge.

There will probably be more revenue trains up to High Bridge in the morning (currently, 5701 is the only westbound morning run, arriving in High Bridge at 8:36). Same thing in the afternoon, with more revenue trains heading east (currently, 5710 is the only inbound, leaving High Bridge at 4:45PM).

There are five afternoon trains that run up to High Bridge in the current schedule. Do any of them spend the night in High Bridge or do they all deadhead back to Raritan?
 #282419  by njt5140

transit383 wrote:There are five afternoon trains that run up to High Bridge in the current schedule. Do any of them spend the night in High Bridge or do they all deadhead back to Raritan?
Everything heads back to Raritan Yard, then most of the equipment is used on later runs...
5707-X570-5452-5455
5709-X572-5454-5457
5711-X574-5456-5401
5713-X576
5715-X578-5458-5403
 #282633  by mcmannors

transit383 wrote:I think 5423 is a definite extension to High Bridge (the 12:06pm departure from Newark), because on holidays this train runs as 8525 all the way up to High Bridge.
That is incorrect. On getaway days, or days before a major holiday, 5425 (not 5423) is extended to High Bridge as 8525.

#282638  by Jtgshu

Rails are laid for most of the siding, and are attached for about 1/2 of it. There are no marks or distrubing of the current ROW, so it will still be awhile before they cut in the new switches. Also, I didn't see any placement or foundations for signals or anything ou there, so i guess thats yet to come.

But the track crews are making good progress on getting those ties and rails installed on the siding!

#282666  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Rails are laid for most of the siding, and are attached for about 1/2 of it. There are no marks or distrubing of the current ROW, so it will still be awhile before they cut in the new switches. Also, I didn't see any placement or foundations for signals or anything ou there, so i guess thats yet to come.

But the track crews are making good progress on getting those ties and rails installed on the siding!
Yes, they certainly are moving!

#284724  by Zeke

The 8 pm yard job, YR-03 that drills Raritan yard was drafted last friday night to run an ailing cab car to the MMC and return with a wide load. One of the custom built power switches for the new siding was delivered by CSAO up at the MMC perched on a special bulkhead flat. It was unloaded monday and stored in the back of Raritan yard awaiting it's mate. When the second one arrives they will both be hauled up to the work site and installed. I have been hearing around mid October the siding will be complete and in service.

#287559  by nick11a

This may sound like a dumb question, but where is this Whitehouse passing siding (and don't say in Whitehouse.) :-) I was expecting to see it either just east or west of the station but when I drove by yesterday, didn't see it. And being that they wouldn't put it by all of the crossings (School Road, Coddington Road, County Line Road), I can only guess they are putting it west of the station past the curve?

#287565  by TGIV

You guessed it about 300 ft west of the curve.

#287596  by nick11a

TGIV wrote:You guessed it about 300 ft west of the curve.
OK, I would have thought a good place for it would be right at the west end of the station similar to the Far Hills set up of a passing track. But, that isn't too bad at least.

#287729  by Jtgshu

There is an overhead bridge which goes over the siding about midway down its length, but i can't remember teh name of the street. The street is right were Railroad St (Ave?) west from White House meets up with/changes names to Old Mountain Road at that interection is right on the other side of the bridge, on the North Side of the tracks.

#287741  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:There is an overhead bridge which goes over the siding about midway down its length, but i can't remember teh name of the street. The street is right were Railroad St (Ave?) west from White House meets up with/changes names to Old Mountain Road at that interection is right on the other side of the bridge, on the North Side of the tracks.
Hmm, don't know that road. Time for a scouting mission....

#287910  by Ken W2KB

nick11a wrote:
TGIV wrote:You guessed it about 300 ft west of the curve.
OK, I would have thought a good place for it would be right at the west end of the station similar to the Far Hills set up of a passing track. But, that isn't too bad at least.
It was probably located to (1) avoid grade crossings, and (2) the place where the times would best fit the required meets.

#292939  by transit383

Will the increased service to High Bridge include weekend service as well?