Railroad Forums 

• Ocean City Service

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#207520  by PARailWiz

Remember too that gas is still somewhat more expensive than was normal fairly recently and is likely to only go up, seeing as one good storm can apparently wreak havoc on prices. Plus all the turmoil in oil producing regions of the world and increased demand in developing countries. If the right combination of factors were to occur, it could well become difficult for all but the rich to afford to drive to the Jersey shore...

#208324  by JoeBas

PARailWiz wrote:it could well become difficult for all but the rich to afford to drive to the Jersey shore...
That's okay, the way things are going, pretty soon they'll be the only ones going there anyway. ;)

#208471  by PARailWiz

That's okay, the way things are going, pretty soon they'll be the only ones going there anyway. Wink
True enough.

#208711  by nittany4

This Google link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sea+isle+ ... &t=h&hl=en
shows that just south of OC, the ROW from OC to SIC that you refer to is visable!
the best (or worst) part is, that if you switch from satellite to map, the rails magically appear!

if it were only that easy to restore rail service

:(

#212736  by glennk419

I've been in OC for the last couple days and decided to take a ride out to Crook Horn to see what's going on. With the weeds all dead at this time of year, I was able to observe the remains of the 51st Street passing siding which still exist north of 51st all the way up to the point where the switch once was (the rails are still in despite the main being gone!). On the down side...THEY'VE PAVED OVER THE SIDING RAILS AT 51st STREET! It also looks like someone has cut down a couple of the remaining power poles along the ROW to the bridge, I have no clue why. Other than that, Mother Nature continues to take its' toll on the ROW, looks like more ballast has washed away than I had noticed in the past. I also took a run down to check out the old PRR ROW. Not only can it be easily seen from Ocean Drive off of 55th, if you pull into the Corson's Inlet boat ramp, the ROW comes right that area immediately to the left of the entrance and can be easily hiked.

#213242  by PARailWiz

I've been in OC for the last couple days and decided to take a ride out to Crook Horn to see what's going on. With the weeds all dead at this time of year, I was able to observe the remains of the 51st Street passing siding which still exist north of 51st all the way up to the point where the switch once was (the rails are still in despite the main being gone!). On the down side...THEY'VE PAVED OVER THE SIDING RAILS AT 51st STREET! It also looks like someone has cut down a couple of the remaining power poles along the ROW to the bridge, I have no clue why. Other than that, Mother Nature continues to take its' toll on the ROW, looks like more ballast has washed away than I had noticed in the past. I also took a run down to check out the old PRR ROW. Not only can it be easily seen from Ocean Drive off of 55th, if you pull into the Corson's Inlet boat ramp, the ROW comes right that area immediately to the left of the entrance and can be easily hiked.
Heaven forbid we inconvenience the cars there...As for the poles, maybe someone wanted to put up a birdhouse?

I never saw the PRR ROW...can you describe where it is in more detail please?

#213300  by glennk419

The PRR ROW runs in a diagonal roughly from the backyards at 57th and West to the Corson's Inlet boat ramp parking lot. You can see it on the left when heading south on Ocean Drive between OC and Strathmere. If you pull into the parking lot, the ROW is almost immediately on your left and quite obvious, at least at this time of year.

#219599  by mgdemarco

As you guys have mentioned, winter is a great time to explore the OC row. In a few short months the row will be filled with ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy, and other vegetation once again. Is anyone up for an expedition of the OC row before spring arrives? I know that we have some really knowledgeable people on this board and it would be quite an interesting and fun afternoon.

#220457  by JimBoylan

I'm interested in South Jersey exploration. Mar. 18-9 would be best for me; Mar. 12, next; Mar. 25-6, worst.

#220472  by glennk419

I'll be in OC over St. Patrick's weekend but not sure if I'll be able to break away for an afternoon of exploring. I'll keep this thread in mind and PM the interested folks if things look up.

#220559  by mgdemarco

My weekends are pretty much open at this point. I hope that we can get a group together for an exploration soon.
Last edited by mgdemarco on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#220752  by PARailWiz

I'd be interested...I ususally make a pilgrimage to Ocean City sometime in the late winter/early spring anyway, and my weekends are pretty flexible.

#224415  by German

I might head down that way soon with my boat, just to see what I can see from the water

#224732  by PARailWiz

Take pictures if you do! I'd like to try that sometime except i get seasick washing my hands :wink:

#237032  by Pacobell73

SteelWheels21 wrote:No, the tracks were pulled up from OC to the Power Plant switch around 98 or 99. I remember seeing them do it from the Garden State Parkway as I drove over the bridge.
I have some videos of the tracks taken around late '96. They were very much intact up between the Beesley's Point secondary branch, under pavement on Rt. 9, and under the GSP. The Crook Horn Bridge was gone already. but the track countinued into Ocean City until where it currently ends...in spurts. Disgraceful.

I am still amazed that the Cape May Branch did not suffer the same fate. The hell that Tony Macrie goes through is almost inhuman. I am sure if the Ocean City branch had not been mutiliated and service was restored a la CMSL, it would be pounded by NIMBYs right now.
Noel Weaver wrote:The biggest problem was probably the overhead expense and the un-willingness of anyone to spend the necessary money to up-grade thelines and facilities. There were just too many drawbridges and towers, too many signals and crossings to take care of for the amount of use of these lines. Having said that, these lines did serve a good purpose and the funds should have been spent to upgrade them, they could have remoted the towers and maybe the drawbridges too. More service especially off-peak, evenings and weekends could have brough more passengers to the trains too. I still believe that NJT should be running trains to Cape May.
I agree. We have to remember that when service ceased, NJT really did not exist. Service to Cape May and OC was being supplied by a very reluctant NJ DOT. I would bet had that service continued into the NJT era and into the early 90s, NJT would have sunk some $$$ into. Maybe. I also fawn over the LIRR http://world.nycsubway.org/us/lirr/lirr-montauk.html and how service never ceased out to Montauk or Greenport.