Railroad Forums 

• Future Railroad Employees

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#171508  by Amtrak31

I want to work for the EJ&E when I'm 18. Once I turn 18, i'm filling out the application. I turn 16 November 15th. I'd want to work for the EJ&E since they operate right in my hometown, which is Joliet. Their line runs from Waukegan to Gary. Very nice looking engines. IMO, they are the nicest looking engines out there.

#172039  by 4 Express

My main focus for a future job is being a motorman for the Metropolitian Transportation Authority or New Jersey Transit.

#172264  by njtmnrrbuff

I want to work for a railroad or even a transportation consulting firm analyzing the ups and downs of the railroads.

#172549  by trainfreak

Currently im looking at going to college then hiring on to a railroad. The plan for my college is to go to Pennslyvania College of Technogy where i will get a B.S. in Civil Engineering. Then hopefully get a job with NS as an engineer. I go out to Penn Tech on friday and then saturday i hit Altoona!

#172585  by njtmnrrbuff

Sullivan,
What lines will you be on? I heard in two weeks, transit will be hosting a job fair at SEC. I hope to find something in railroad management there.

#172603  by AmtrakFan

I hope to hire out at Amtrak as a Conductor and later hopefully as an Engineer working out of Chicago or on the west coast.

#173128  by Joe

Apply for BNSF conductor training after high school.

#173265  by The RailMan

I actually applied for a position as an assistant conductor for Metro-North. I had applied back in March and didn't hear back and decided to apply again. I've heard from several Metro-North employees, including a relative of mine who works for them, that the best way into MN is to pretty much bombard them with applications and whatnot (well not so much bombard but be persistent)
I'd like to get on there as a conductor or engineer later in life but for now I'll settle for something else on there.

#173527  by sullivan1985

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Sullivan,
What lines will you be on? I heard in two weeks, transit will be hosting a job fair at SEC. I hope to find something in railroad management there.
Who knows, I'm going to be on an extras list for a while because I'm a new hire, so I'll be all over the system with no set terminal for a while. Doesn't bother me though. I can't wait!
The RailMan wrote:I actually applied for a position as an assistant conductor for Metro-North. I had applied back in March and didn't hear back and decided to apply again. I've heard from several Metro-North employees, including a relative of mine who works for them, that the best way into MN is to pretty much bombard them with applications and whatnot (well not so much bombard but be persistent)
I'd like to get on there as a conductor or engineer later in life but for now I'll settle for something else on there.
When I put in my app at NJ Transit, I waited almost 9 months for a responce, and another 6 months from the first time I talked to them till clases started. It's a long process it seams almost anywhere when it comes to railroads.

#213295  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Its hard work........ good luck.

#215395  by justinking

I'd like to one day work for a shortline. I'm iffy on class 1s. I've already had an interveiw for one railroad although I didn't get the job.

#215437  by Engineer James

Justin.. What RR?? and what was the job?