Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1547730  by Backshophoss

What would help 448/449 is CSX's constant interference of killing the Boston section for trackwork on a regular basis.
The MBTA PTC install is a one time "Hit" as was the "Destress" trackwork to get rid of the heat restrictions in MBTA territory.
 #1554887  by dgvrengineer

The New York section has been cut back to one sleeper since it went to 3 times per week. The sleeper on the rear was a deadhead car.
 #1554916  by Amtrak706

charlesriverbranch wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:49 am Huh? Shouldn't a train that runs less than half as frequently have more cars, not fewer? What about using the extra cars to encourage social distancing?
Common sense would say so, yes. So it makes sense then that Amtrak is doing the opposite...
 #1554938  by electricron

charlesriverbranch wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:49 am Huh? Shouldn't a train that runs less than half as frequently have more cars, not fewer? What about using the extra cars to encourage social distancing?
Yes, that would be true if ridership remains the same. But it is not the same, ridership is down 80% nationally, although individual long distance trains may vary.
Some math exercises of what ifs....
100% x 7 days a week = 700% total ridership.
700% ridership / 3 trains per week = 233% ridership per train.
To serve 233% riders per train, the train would need to be at least twice as long.

20% x 7 trains a week = 140% total ridership
140% ridership / 3 trains per week = 47% ridership per train
To serve 47% riders per train, the train could be at most half as long.

Granted, that math exercise reflects 80% drop in ridership, I have no idea what the real percentages are. But this exercise in what ifs show what Amtrak is faced with. And why a train half as long half the time can meet the present decrease of customer demands in ridership.

Math is the basic ingredient of every successful business in the entire world. That is why it is taught in schools all over the world. Math does not lie.
 #1554943  by WashingtonPark

Except Amtrak brags about social distancing, so to maintain 50% distance the trains would have to be as long at 3 times per week as they were at 7. Of course this would be coach seating. Wouldn't apply to the sleepers that could be cut in half.
 #1554956  by electricron

WashingtonPark wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:25 pm Except Amtrak brags about social distancing, so to maintain 50% distance the trains would have to be as long at 3 times per week as they were at 7. Of course this would be coach seating. Wouldn't apply to the sleepers that could be cut in half.
Again, that is assuming the same amount of ridership. Ridership is down 80% nationally, that is one-fifth less ridership than before. That means it takes Amtrak 5 days to have as much ridership as they had in one day pre-covid.
 #1555028  by WashingtonPark

electricron wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:36 pm
WashingtonPark wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:25 pm Except Amtrak brags about social distancing, so to maintain 50% distance the trains would have to be as long at 3 times per week as they were at 7. Of course this would be coach seating. Wouldn't apply to the sleepers that could be cut in half.
Again, that is assuming the same amount of ridership. Ridership is down 80% nationally, that is one-fifth less ridership than before. That means it takes Amtrak 5 days to have as much ridership as they had in one day pre-covid.
Which would be 2 1/3 days if you want to keep the train half full. Which means you would have to maintain the same number of coaches on a three day schedule to maintain social distancing in a car you are only going to allow to be filled at 50%. (Say 1400 per 7 days. 200 a day. 50 seats a car means 4 cars. Now 20% of 1400 is 280 for 3 trains is 93 per train. Want to do social distancing at 50%? 25 per car so you still need 4 cars. Only sleeper cars could be cut under the present ridership.)
 #1567694  by STrRedWolf

Question on the LSL consist as of late: Doesn't the LSL have a baggage car, Chicago to Boston? My friend had a bit an adventure on the Cali Zephyr (see the 6(30) thread) and had checked in a bike and some snow boarding gear. It's now stuck in Chicago and she's in Washington -- it didn't get transfered to the Cardinal. She'll be taking Regional 66 tonight up to her home in Boston.

The real question will be what will happen to her luggage?
 #1567705  by bostontrainguy

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:22 pm Question on the LSL consist as of late: Doesn't the LSL have a baggage car, Chicago to Boston? My friend had a bit an adventure on the Cali Zephyr (see the 6(30) thread) and had checked in a bike and some snow boarding gear. It's now stuck in Chicago and she's in Washington -- it didn't get transfered to the Cardinal. She'll be taking Regional 66 tonight up to her home in Boston.

The real question will be what will happen to her luggage?
They removed the baggage car a while ago. Hopefully the baggage will eventually get to Boston. It has to come up on 66.
 #1567744  by STrRedWolf

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:08 pm They removed the baggage car a while ago. Hopefully the baggage will eventually get to Boston. It has to come up on 66.
Ugh. And if it's still stuck in Chicago? Wouldn't Amtrak repack and get it out via UPS?
 #1567750  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Wolf, I'd like to think her stuff showed up at BOS on 66(2) this morning, after having it placed on 48(1) to NYP (assuming April 1st was an "on day" for the Lake Shore).

Oh well, wonder why I have never checked anything with a railroad and it's been thirty six years with an airline, which they conveniently "delayed". Of course. I'm "not exactly" traveling about with a trike and every electronic plaything known to man.

Finally, no snipes about costumes; I've met in the bar at an Atlanta hotel participants at a fantasy author Robert Jordan convention. Nice bunch of guys and gals, might I say.
 #1567754  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:29 am Well Mr. Wolf, I'd like to think her stuff showed up at BOS on 66(2) this morning, after having it placed on 48(1) to NYP (assuming April 1st was an "on day" for the Lake Shore).

Oh well, wonder why I have never checked anything with a railroad and it's been thirty six years with an airline, which they conveniently "delayed". Of course. I'm "not exactly" traveling about with a trike and every electronic plaything known to man.

Finally, no snipes about costumes; I've met in the bar at an Atlanta hotel participants at a fantasy author Robert Jordan convention. Nice bunch of guys and gals, might I say.
No costumes there. Just a snowboard, boots, and her bike. She got her snowboard and boots, but is missing the bike.
 #1567822  by Red Wing

When I went to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago, I dropped all my rafting stuff off the day before my trip at BOS. Which was awesome since it saved me a ton of money on airplane baggage! Well it went to WAS on 66 onto the Capital to CHI, then got to Flagstaff on the Southwest Chief the day before I arrived. Yah it would have been alot easier if the Boston section of the Lake Shore had baggage. Bring back the baggage! I'll have to do the same thing this summer when I go to Grand Junction, CO.