Railroad Forums 

• Provocative Railway Age Article 9/10/20: "Private Sector Investment in NEC Operations?"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1553052  by Gilbert B Norman

https://csanders429.wordpress.com/tag/d ... ter-allen/

https://www.lackawannacoalition.org/

In addition to the noted Railway Age material, need I collect further links to estsblish this guy, David Peter Allen, is an advocate.

Again, it is not to me so much his advocacy that concerns me. But first, allow me to note, I am all in favor of passenger trains operating on publicly owned trackage, or if investor owned Class I they are paying the investors the full opportunity cost, which includes track capacity and signaling enhancements, of having those trains operating. Good examples of such are Chicago area operations of METRA over the BNSF and UP and apparently along the West Coast with the several passenger train agencies and those two roads. Worst example? you guessed it: Amtrak LD's.

But as noted earlier, in printing this fellow's work, Railway Age has done a "sub-par" performance in fully labeling such as Opinion. But then, my standards on such are those held by The New York Times, which has different typesetting for such than a news article.
 #1553917  by R36 Combine Coach

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:52 am
FatNoah wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32 am Amtrak Thruway Bus between BOS & BON - that could be done in conjunction with local bus service
A comfortable bus is probably a better option than an Orange Line transfer. Tourists are always more intimidated by local buses, so a dedicated Amtrak bus might be a decent option.I can actually see an airport-style shuttle bus (with racks for baggage) doing the BOS/BON bridge, similar to that of BWI's bus bridge from airport to rail station. Ether a 40' or a flexi-60' doing the trip up and back, direct as possible. I can't see Amtrak doing that, though. I can see Amtrak contracting MBTA to do it like how VTA has their #10 bus do airport to light rail.
A scheduled transfer bus does make sense, open to all passengers with tickets. What route would be better
between BOS and BON: Congress Street past Government Center or using the I-93 service road on surface level?
 #1553923  by STrRedWolf

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:50 pm A scheduled transfer bus does make sense, open to all passengers with tickets. What route would be better
between BOS and BON: Congress Street past Government Center or using the I-93 service road on surface level?
I think the routing will be: (S-Straight, L-Left, R-Right)
  • South Station Bus Terminal
  • S: S Station Connector
  • R: Lincoln St
  • R: Exit to I-93 N
  • L: Exit to Washington St.
  • L: Causeway St
  • Stop North Station.
  • S: Causeway St
  • L: Merrimac St
  • R: Exit I-93
  • L: Exit Purchase St
  • L: S Station Connector
You'll need at least two buses.
 #1554033  by Arborwayfan

A dedicated T shuttle between North Station and South Station would be a good idea. Sell Amtrak tickets for it to anyone arriving at either station who wants to buy one. But don't have it sit idle between Amtrak trains. Have it do continuous loops all day, and make it available to CR passengers or just anyone willing to pay a slightly higher fare than subway fare -- $5?
 #1554042  by STrRedWolf

Arborwayfan wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:23 am A dedicated T shuttle between North Station and South Station would be a good idea. Sell Amtrak tickets for it to anyone arriving at either station who wants to buy one. But don't have it sit idle between Amtrak trains. Have it do continuous loops all day, and make it available to CR passengers or just anyone willing to pay a slightly higher fare than subway fare -- $5?
$4.25 for what MBTA says is "Inner Express" service inside of Boston.
 #1554055  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:49 pm
R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:50 pm A scheduled transfer bus does make sense, open to all passengers with tickets. What route would be better
I think the routing will be: (S-Straight, L-Left, R-Right)
  • S: S Station Connector
  • R: Lincoln St
  • R: Exit to I-93 N
  • L: Exit to Washington St.
  • L: Causeway St
  • Stop North Station.
  • S: Causeway St
  • L: Merrimac St
  • R: Exit I-93
  • L: Exit Purchase St
  • L: S Station Connector
You'll need at least two buses.
Station to Station Circulator.
Get four buses for frequent service..
And permission from the estate of David Bowie.
 #1554056  by Pensyfan19

So is the Boston North South Link going to be part of Ameristarrail's system? Shouldn't this be in the North South link discussion on the MBTA forum? (And did I hear someone mention David Bowie?! ;))
 #1554057  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:58 pm Station to Station Circulator.
Or maybe who came up with the Station to Station Nomadic Rail Journey...

Of course we could name it the Trans-Station Shuttle (NO Not TransCentral Shuttle, we'll have to get permission from the KLF).

But yeah, four buses for 10 min service.
 #1554125  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:56 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:58 pm Station to Station Circulator.
Or maybe who came up with the Station to Station Nomadic Rail Journey...

Of course we could name it the Trans-Station Shuttle (NO Not TransCentral Shuttle, we'll have to get permission from the KLF).

But yeah, four buses for 10 min service.
I can't imagine what it would be like trying to get permission for a tune from those Situationists..
 #1554189  by NRGeep

Red Wing wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:42 pm I bet you could connect North and South Station faster by using a ferry between Fort Point Channel and Lovejoy Warf. FYI the Number 4 bus takes 22 minutes between North and South Stations. Bringing this back to rails I wonder how fast the Atlantic El was.
This is the most cost effective connection. Some sort of shuttle from the water connections to stations would clinch it.
 #1554195  by mtuandrew

High Speed Rail Alliance is having a brown-bag lunch discussion on AmeriStar on October 23. Learn more and register here: https://www.hsrail.org/brown-bag-lunch- ... proach-nec
 #1554243  by Red Wing

NRGeep wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:29 am This is the most cost effective connection. Some sort of shuttle from the water connections to stations would clinch it.
Why would you need a shuttle? build a bridge over 93 from Lovejoy Warf to North Station. I grant you Fort Point would be harder, well until the Post Office moves and the mythical new platforms are built.