Railroad Forums 

• Wisconsin Talgos Disposition - MI and now Pacific Surfliner

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1553403  by RRspatch

bostontrainguy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:33 pm Just curious looking at the operator in that narrow cab . . . why was Talgo required to redesign their sleek cab car into the now infamous "Ugly Duckling"? Supposedly Amtrak required room for two seats side-by-side. Why not here?
This was an FRA requirement for two reasons -

1) The old "High Velocity Bank Vault on Steel Wheels" FRA crash standards (since amended).
2) An FRA requirement that an engineer trainee have a place to sit next to the engineer. Most (true) high speed trains have a single person cockpit with maybe a seat behind the engineer/train driver for the trainee. Amtrak, as you probably know, operates with one person in the cab on runs scheduled under 6 hours.

Therefor crash standards and the need for a second seat are the reason for the ugly duckling. Here's what the Talgo cab car could have looked like -

As you can see it's a single person cab.
 #1553422  by MattW

RRspatch wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:31 am
bostontrainguy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:33 pm Just curious looking at the operator in that narrow cab . . . why was Talgo required to redesign their sleek cab car into the now infamous "Ugly Duckling"? Supposedly Amtrak required room for two seats side-by-side. Why not here?
This was an FRA requirement for two reasons -

1) The old "High Velocity Bank Vault on Steel Wheels" FRA crash standards (since amended).
2) An FRA requirement that an engineer trainee have a place to sit next to the engineer. Most (true) high speed trains have a single person cockpit with maybe a seat behind the engineer/train driver for the trainee. Amtrak, as you probably know, operates with one person in the cab on runs scheduled under 6 hours.

Therefor crash standards and the need for a second seat are the reason for the ugly duckling. Here's what the Talgo cab car could have looked like -

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/es/ele ... 12_-2-.jpg

As you can see it's a single person cab.
I know I'm getting a little off topic, if the answer is more complex I don't mind splitting it off. But as to #2, how does that work for EMUs and cab cars? Many of them now just have "phone booth" cabs with no room for a second person.
 #1553432  by mtuandrew

MattW wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:15 amI know I'm getting a little off topic, if the answer is more complex I don't mind splitting it off. But as to #2, how does that work for EMUs and cab cars? Many of them now just have "phone booth" cabs with no room for a second person.
Moderator Note: moved your post so you don’t have to. Carry on.
 #1597678  by R36 Combine Coach

AgentSkelly wrote: Fri May 30, 2014 10:59 pm Not a problem. NAFTA amended the Buy American Act a bit for transportation purchases :) Its why the Crown Victoria PI and the Dodge Charger can be purchased by the feds even though their VIN starts with a 2.
Late reply, but actually predates NAFTA. Under a trade agreement known as the Automotive Products Act of 1965 approved by Congress and signed by both the U.S. and Canadian governments, tariffs were eliminated for
automotive vehicles and equipment, forming a free trade zone in the two countries. Canadian built vehicles are considered "domestic" for the purposes of tariffs and U.S. import laws.

This allowed automakers to refocus their plants for specific models, rather than say, Chrysler producing their full
line at its Windsor plant for Canadian market. U.S. built models could now be sold in Canada and vice versa.
 #1624023  by STrRedWolf

And there goes the rest of them.... to Nigeria. Dateline January 2022

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... in-africa/
The website Urban Milwaukee reports Talgo will sell the equipment to the Nigerian government. According to a press release, it will be for a new 23-mile, 11-station commuter line in the Lagos area slated to begin service later this year, with a capacity of 500,000 passengers per day. Lagos, with a population of 27 million, is one of the most densely populated cities in Africa, and by 2025 is projected to be one of the world’s five largest cities.
 #1624073  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:54 am I swear we discussed how effective tilting would be on a commuter line with stops every 2 miles......

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Not effective. Next question.