Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1535344  by rcthompson04

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:18 am

Why would anyone purchase an I Pass on the Key with the 10 ride limit when the
Legacy I Passes offer unlimited rides and are good for use until the end of 2022?

MACTRAXX
In my case the Independence Pass on the Key card is far more convenient, fits in wallet and I can buy at any time on the App. I rarely use more than two train rides in a day too. If I was trying to hit as many trains as possible in a day I would use the traditional Independence Pass.
 #1535367  by MACTRAXX

H-E View: Yes-SEPTA Regional Rail ticket offices outside of the five CCP stations should
have Legacy I Passes in stock and for sale. They cost $13 each for an individual.

This Regional Rail system map includes information by station - for example:
Langhorne Station; 137 Comly Avenue, Langhorne, PA 19047
Ticket Office Hours: 5:15 AM to 12:30 PM Monday through Friday.
Phone (215)580-6941; Fare Zone 4-West Trenton Line
http://www.septa.org/maps/system/index.html

I would suggest calling the agent or clerk on duty before you visit to make certain
that they have Legacy I Passes available.
With the valid period on current Legacy I passes until the end of 2022 it can pay
to purchase some extra I passes to keep for future use...MACTRAXX
 #1535371  by MichaelBug

I live in Collegeville & can confirm MACTRAXX's comments about Norristown TC being the closest location to Collegeville to purchase Key Cards & legacy Independence Passes. North Wales (my home station, on the Lansdale-Doylestown Line) also has a staffed ticket office, & would be about the same driving time, or even possibly a few minutes less, from Collegeville as Norristown (depending on where you are staying in Collegeville).

Also, if you need to purchase your fare on a weekend and are willing to travel a little further, the Lansdale station ticket office is also open on Saturdays until 2:00pm.

If you will not have a car while in Collegeville, SEPTA's Route 93 bus connects the borough with Norristown TC.
 #1535399  by JeffK

One heads up if you have a car: Main Street near Norristown can be problematic depending on the time of day. There's ongoing construction a few blocks west of the station that can cause backups heading eastbound. Also parking tends to be limited at the station itself but you can probably find something on a nearby side street.
 #1535886  by rcthompson04

The Key Card website is now showing more detailed information on where you tap in and out. Some of this was available before now it is a lot more detailed and consistent. The tap out data at Suburban is not populating yet though.
 #1552474  by jamesinclair

Does paper tickets going away include the NJ Transit tickets?

If so, is there any system in place to facilitate transfers in Trenton?

Also, browsing the website, it seems like the most cost-effective option to ride from Trenton is to pay the cash exit fare downtown...? Its cheaper than the paper ticket rate.

Finally, Im having trouble finding out what the fare is between 30th Street and Suburban on regional rail? Anyone know what it is?
 #1552515  by CNJGeep

jamesinclair wrote:Finally, Im having trouble finding out what the fare is between 30th Street and Suburban on regional rail? Anyone know what it is?
Whatever the Zone 1 fare is. I know it's $6/$5 peak/off-peak cash on the train.
 #1552518  by JeffK

jamesinclair wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:51 am Finally, Im having trouble finding out what the fare is between 30th Street and Suburban on regional rail? Anyone know what it is?
If I may ask, is there a particular reason (luggage, connections, etc.) you’d want to use the RRD to make that short trip? The subway and subway-surface trolleys make the same trip for half the price. The disadvantages, of course, are that access is less convenient and there’s still no direct walkway between the lines at 30th St.
 #1552532  by ExCon90

Historically, going back to PRR days, tickets to or from Philadelphia included the connecting trains to Suburban Station; when the Center City connection was opened under SEPTA that was extended to include Market East, as it was then called, and an Amtrak ticket stub was all you needed. Now that ticket stubs (and tickets) are things of the past I don't know how this is handled. In practice, what normally happened was that if you boarded a train at 30th St. terminating at Temple U (i.e. Roberts yard) or at Jefferson or Suburban terminating at 30th St. you would be asked for a ticket when boarding--otherwise tickets were not checked on board trains in Center City.

I haven't been in Center City at all recently--anybody know how it's done currently?
 #1552573  by jamesinclair

JeffK wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:15 pm
jamesinclair wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:51 am Finally, Im having trouble finding out what the fare is between 30th Street and Suburban on regional rail? Anyone know what it is?
If I may ask, is there a particular reason (luggage, connections, etc.) you’d want to use the RRD to make that short trip? The subway and subway-surface trolleys make the same trip for half the price. The disadvantages, of course, are that access is less convenient and there’s still no direct walkway between the lines at 30th St.
I am planning a trip with someone who has mobility issues. They are arriving via Amtrak from the south. I will be waiting for them at the station, arriving via Trenton.

Their Amtrak ticket is supposed to entitle them to a free ride to Market East. So I want to know how much my ticket would be.

It is my recollection that the regional rail path of travel has more elevator/escalator options than the trolley.

I am also considering the independence ticket for my fare, but it is also incredibly confusing. It says theres a $5 up-charge to Trenton, but how and where is that paid if they arent accepting cash?