Railroad Forums 

• Autoracks dragged under bridge (video question)

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1552242  by ctclark1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcqfa_uj2hA

Ignore the typically stupid Youtube comments. Does anyone know where this was or how it happened? In particular I'm curious why (based on the first few seconds of the clip) it looks like they backed up and tried again?

(Mods feel free to move this to a more appropriate discussion area, if necessary.)
 #1552322  by jwhite07

And amongst the typically stupid YouTube comments, I didn't notice any smart comments about how massively idiotic the person filming was for not only clearly trespassing, on a bridge no less, but also for staying there on that bridge while it was visibly shaking and moving up and down from the impacts of the railcars underneath. Trying for a Darwin Award, was he?
 #1552360  by ExCon90

If you can bear to plow through all those replies there are a few intelligent comments; it may have been a doubling move while assembling the train and the conductor may not have realized that part of the movement would pass under that bridge.
 #1552419  by BR&P

I could not tell whether there was another track beyond the racks or not. It's possible the other track had more clearance and should have been the one used for high cars.

In late PC or early Conrail days, they sent a train east out of Niagara Falls on the wrong track. The result was Cadillac "convertibles" which were not in GM's catalog! :P
 #1552439  by ExCon90

ctclark1 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm Wouldn't the conductor been on the ground for a coupling move like that?

Probably was--on the ground, talking to the engineer on the radio, but not from where he could see the bridge. Or maybe he did, but too late for the engineer to stop the movement--imagine the moment ...
 #1552535  by eolesen

Conductor needs to lose his job. Someone should have been riding the back end if this was a shove.

Presumably this was within yard limits?
 #1552666  by ctclark1

It's starting to piece together for me... If they were dropping off multiple cuts of tankers to the yard and the conductor was riding the back, they could have decapitated off a few of the autoracks the first time, pulled forward after dropping the first cut, and were backing into another siding to make the second cut? That seems to be the only reason I can fathom why there were already damaged cars at the beginning of the video, and obviously with enough time for someone to have noticed this, trespassed onto the bridge and started recording.
ExCon90 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:10 am
ctclark1 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm Wouldn't the conductor been on the ground for a coupling move like that?

Probably was--on the ground, talking to the engineer on the radio, but not from where he could see the bridge. Or maybe he did, but too late for the engineer to stop the movement--imagine the moment ...
I'm imagining the moment now, where the conductor is walking back from spotting the end of the train in the siding to make the cut... What's all this? I haven't seen an open top autorack in decades. Oh sh......."

I won't pretend to have any knowledge handling a train, but you'd think there'd have been some resistance to the locomotive when they started bunching up that the engineer would've noticed something? Or is that not really probable?
 #1552674  by ExCon90

I was never involved with auto racks, but I assume that those roofs are not structural and are no stronger than necessary to hold up their own weight--it may be that the engineer didn't feel a thing until the effect of tearing off one roof after another became cumulative.
 #1552688  by STrRedWolf

From a management perspective, I would assume whoever gave those train orders is getting fired. Isn't route planning supposedly requires knowing how high those train cars are and how high the bridges are?

The engineer/conductor? I'm not so sure. It depends on how long that consist was and where they were during the event (definitely not at that bridge).

The dispatcher? Probably not.