Railroad Forums 

• Albuquerque New Mexico Rail Runner Railrunner

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1551420  by RRspatch

west point wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:58 pm What about the 800 pound bear on the track ? How is the SW Chief going to transit that section ? No PTC no Chief. Bus between the two end points ?
I'm pretty sure that if Amtrak is the only train running on the line then the lack of PTC won't be a problem. I believe if there are six or fewer passenger trains a day then PTC is not required. I don't see the Rail Runner returning until PTC is installed between CP Madrid and Belen Jct.

As far as hazmats are concerned I don't remember seeing any on the Beleen to Albuquerque BNSF switch moves I sent out of Belen every night.
 #1551458  by Backshophoss

NMRX IS installing/Testing I-ETMS PTC while the shutdown Health Odrers are in effect,believe the ATS system is still on line.
Tbe entire Core network Santa Fe-Belen is online.
Both NMRX and C&TS are still considered "covid "super spreaders under current Heath Orders.
 #1551478  by Pensyfan19

Backshophoss wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:54 am NMRX IS installing/Testing I-ETMS PTC while the shutdown Health Odrers are in effect,believe the ATS system is still on line.
Tbe entire Core network Santa Fe-Belen is online.
Both NMRX and C&TS are still considered "covid "super spreaders under current Heath Orders.
So progress is being made with the PTC installation I'm assuming? Hopefully this can be completed before the PTC deadline. Is NMRX still missing anything in terms of PTC and installation of other portions of it? (I don't have much experience or knowledge with this progress and the functions of PTC)
 #1551485  by ExCon90

RRspatch wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:34 am
west point wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:58 pm What about the 800 pound bear on the track ? How is the SW Chief going to transit that section ? No PTC no Chief. Bus between the two end points ?
I'm pretty sure that if Amtrak is the only train running on the line then the lack of PTC won't be a problem. I believe if there are six or fewer passenger trains a day then PTC is not required. I don't see the Rail Runner returning until PTC is installed between CP Madrid and Belen Jct.

As far as hazmats are concerned I don't remember seeing any on the Beleen to Albuquerque BNSF switch moves I sent out of Belen every night.
West Point may have had in mind Anderson's comment awhile back that Amtrak would not operate on any trackage that lacked PTC, regardless of other factors. I don't know where that stands nowadays.
 #1551488  by electricron

ExCon90 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:07 pm West Point may have had in mind Anderson's comment awhile back that Amtrak would not operate on any trackage that lacked PTC, regardless of other factors. I don't know where that stands nowadays.
Anderson did suggest that a few years ago. But I believe it was somewhat taken back a little. No tracks in Vermont will have PTC, and Amtrak has not suggested terminating the two trains to Vermont. Things change all the time, and is Anderson still around anymore?
 #1551566  by Backshophoss

The trigger point is 6 r/t(12 trains) daily,,from the DE thread,Vermont service and the "El Pasoan" reboot to Denver,would not trigger the Need For PTC
The "Joint Line"is rigged for I-ETMS due to Haz Mats,Not sure if the El Paso sub is rigged south of Belen.
Anderson was slipped into retirement and out of the loop now.
 #1553313  by Pensyfan19

Promising Update: Wabtec and Rajant Corp. to provide Wireless service for RailRunner, will implement PTC.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/co ... annel=news
Wabtec Corp. and partner Rajant Corp. will provide high-speed wireless service for riders (740,000 annually, pre-pandemic) along the 100-mile, 15-station line between Belen and Santa Fe, which is operated by the Rio Metro Regional Transit District (RMRTD) for the New Mexico Department of Transportation.

The service will use Rajant’s Kinetic Mesh industrial wireless networking products.
 #1553315  by Backshophoss

NMRX wi-fi was already active for a few years at all stations along the route and onboard the trains,the upgrade will be enjoyed by all that use it.
The PTC testing has continued.awaiting the gov to recend the heath order that shut down service