Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1550423  by krispy

I was going to say HPA with the photographer standing in the old wash, but it might be from the other side of HPA, over Line 2. The Honeywell sign is throwing me off, where was that? Overlooking the BQE?
 #1550425  by nyandw

Hunterspoint Station view SE it would appear to be. Yes the reverse Honeywell Sign is the clue! :-)
Attachments:
HPStation.jpg
HPStation.jpg (73.27 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
Last edited by nyandw on Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1550433  by Norton

Might it have been near Honeywell St., which crosses over Sunnyside Yard (and intersects Skillman)?
 #1550766  by jhdeasy

Norton wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:37 am Might it have been near Honeywell St., which crosses over Sunnyside Yard (and intersects Skillman)?
No, Honeywell Street is at least half a mile east of the location of this photo.

I agree with the previous opinion that the photographer is north of the Hunterspoint Avenue station, looking south-southeast towards the Hunterspoint Avenue station.
 #1550781  by MACTRAXX

Steve: I will second Mr. Deasy and mention that this picture of #214 is at HPA of a afternoon
eastbound train - a good picture with decent sun angle.

In the foreground is the tracks leading to Line #2 off to the right of the photo.
The #7 line tunnel entrance is behind the photographer...MACTRAXX
 #1550818  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:59 am The #7 line tunnel entrance is behind the photographer.
In fact at this spot was where a connection between the LIRR/PRR and IRT subway was between 1915-28, along with a small inspection shed. When the line was extended to Flushing in 1928, a connection to the Port Washington Branch was at the new Corona Yard at Willets Point (removed prior to the 1964-65 World's Fair, though the R12/R14/R15 series were delivered through there in 1948-50).
 #1550824  by newkirk

R36 Combine Coach wrote: In fact at this spot was where a connection between the LIRR/PRR and IRT subway was between 1915-28, along with a small inspection shed. When the line was extended to Flushing in 1928, a connection to the Port Washington Branch was at the new Corona Yard at Willets Point (removed prior to the 1964-65 World's Fair, though the R12/R14/R15 series were delivered through there in 1948-50).

Would this be the location or is this Fremont Jct ?
 #1550827  by jhdeasy

newkirk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:56 am

Would this be the location or is this Fremont Jct ?
I think this is the junction between N.Y. Connecting Railroad and LIRR Lower Montauk. Fresh Pond Junction, south of former Fremont tower.

I suspect those new subway cars would have been car-floated across the harbor from NJ, enroute to delivery to NYCTA.
 #1550896  by vince

Hi,

I modeled this area using the trainsarefun maps. Much thanks for them.
NYCTA-Connection-NewLotsAve.jpg
NYCTA-Connection-NewLotsAve.jpg (235.73 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
New Lots IRT elevated line in distance. Right switch exit connects to the BMT 14th St-Canarsie Line
The entire Bay Ridge is completed to and over the Hellgate Bridge.
LIRR Route Pictures: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/album.php?albumid=248
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJzw0MwL1k

regards,
vince
 #1550903  by R36 Combine Coach

jhdeasy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:10 am I suspect those new subway cars would have been car-floated across the harbor from NJ, enroute
to delivery to NYCTA.
Being from ACF in Berwick, they went Lackawanna straight to Hoboken Terminal before carfloated (Cutoff and
Boonton Line). Cars from St. Louis would usually go PRR via Columbus and Pittsburgh to Bayonne or Exchange Place.