Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1549664  by trainviews

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:29 am While the reservation system could certainly support handling Sleepers with different configurations - just as it does today with Auto Train, the utilization of V-II's will be adversely affected when it will be necessary to assign a "protect" to each end point as well as provide for "shops" as the cars become older.

If the configuration were standardized to that of the V-II's, definitely less "protects" and likely less "shops" would be the case.

I'm sure that the necessary provision for "shops" as the V-I's became due for "heavys" was a factor in withdrawing the lines from 66-67 "Night Owl".
Not really. You just have to use V1's for all the protect cars. As they have the greater number of roomettes, they can stand ind for V1's and V2's alike.
 #1549681  by David Benton

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
I'm sure that the necessary provision for "shops" as the V-I's became due for "heavys" was a factor in withdrawing the lines from 66-67 "Night Owl".
I'm pretty sure it was the end of the "Grandfathering" for the track drop toilets in the heritage fleet , that led to the withdrawal of the remaining services that used them.
 #1549699  by Anthony

David Benton wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:43 pm [quote="Gilbert B Norman"

I'm pretty sure it was the end of the "Grandfathering" for the track drop toilets in the heritage fleet , that led to the withdrawal of the remaining services that used them.
[/quote]
The last hopper toilets in revenue service were phased out in 2001 when a waiver allowing their use expired. The last train to use them was the Three Rivers.
 #1549706  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:37 am Oh when the Saints go marching in.

"Reliable sources elsewhere" report that 62509 and 10, St Johns and St Joseph River, are to be released by CAF "next week". Their routing will be the usual: Passenger Extra Elmira-ERIE-Binghm-D&H-ALB-SSY-HIA where they will join their six other fleetmates "sunbathing" indefinitely.
Another Saint will come marching in next week, along with another river that runs through South Carolina. That will bring the total to 11. I wonder if they will have enough excuses to keep them benched.
 #1549707  by bostontrainguy

Can anyone here please tell me what organization, authority, or business (e.g., MBTA, Greyhound, trucking company, etc.) who has received brand new vehicles has not immediately put them to use?

UPDATE: Okay, I need to add the word "serviceable".
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1549719  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Trainguy, circa 1976-77, NJT had brand new Arrow MU cars sitting at Manhattan Transfer for all passing by on the Corridor to see - and wonder why they had not been placed in service.

Whst happened was that an electrification project on the Delay, Linger, and Wait (D,L,&W) got just thst - delayed. Plausible reason, but I don't think the "PR damage" was all that easy to unravel.

Finally Mr. R-36, who knows which agency during a Trump second term will lead a "top to bottom" investigation of the whole V-II procurement fiasco. Just reach in and take your pick, for there enough of 'em out there.
 #1549759  by rohr turbo

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 pm Can anyone here please tell me what organization, authority, or business (e.g., MBTA, Greyhound, trucking company, etc.) who has received brand new vehicles has not immediately put them to use?
Oh lots of examples these days...
https://simpleflying.com/american-787-s ... o-storage/
"American Airlines has sent a brand new Boeing 787-8 into storage."
https://simpleflying.com/etihad-a350-1000-storage/
"...as these aircraft begin rolling off the production line, they are heading not for Abu Dhabi but to Bordeaux, to be mothballed in a storage facility"
https://mimicnews.com/an-aircraft-deliv ... to-storage
"another Airbus A330-300, with registration EI-EIK, joined in May and went into storage."

I agree with you the absurdity of Amtrak mothballing brand new equipment. I am reminded of my beloved Turbos. per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboliner: " Of the five additional (RTL-3) trainsets, originally scheduled to enter service in 2002, only one was completed and it never entered revenue service."
 #1549768  by R36 Combine Coach

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:42 am Mr. Trainguy, circa 1976-77, NJT had brand new Arrow MU cars sitting at Manhattan Transfer for all passing by on the Corridor to see - and wonder why they had not been placed in service. What
happened was that an electrification project on the Delay, Linger, and Wait (D,L,&W) got just delayed.
Delivered in 1977, but some stored for up to 3-5 years. Most did get accepted into service by 1978-79 on the NEC commuter service and replaced the remaining MP54s, some were leased.

MARC's Multlevel cab cars were delivered in June 2014, but were stored until 2016 before they even ran.
 #1549769  by ApproachMedium

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:32 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:42 am Mr. Trainguy, circa 1976-77, NJT had brand new Arrow MU cars sitting at Manhattan Transfer for all passing by on the Corridor to see - and wonder why they had not been placed in service. What
happened was that an electrification project on the Delay, Linger, and Wait (D,L,&W) got just delayed.
Delivered in 1977, but some stored for up to 3-5 years. Most did get accepted into service by 1978-79 on the NEC commuter service and replaced the remaining MP54s, some were leased.

MARC's Multlevel cab cars were delivered in June 2014, but were stored until 2016 before they even ran.
The cars were used, but the cabs were not over issues of trying to install 100 different PTC systems in them togther
 #1550127  by west point

Delays bring new equipment into service ? One big example is many poorer school districts will store new equipment until an older piece goes out of server for what ever reason. Cannot tell you how many school buses go from school garage to scrap yard and not to used bus dealers.

Airlines pre Covid-19 might hold new equipment waiting for expanded service or seasonal higher demand. As well the final furnishing might take some time. If it is a new model the airline first has to get the interior to operational configuration. Then an emergency evacuation demonstration has to be arranged with FAA oversight. Then results verified and paperwork completed then finally that model aircraft can be placed in service.
 #1550267  by bostontrainguy

west point wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:04 pm Delays bring new equipment into service ? One big example is many poorer school districts will store new equipment until an older piece goes out of server for what ever reason. Cannot tell you how many school buses go from school garage to scrap yard and not to used bus dealers.
Many major municipalities have limits on the age of school buses that can be used. For example in the Boston area it was usually three years max. At that point they went to churches or summer camps. We used to also ship a lot to Mexico and Central America where there was a strong market. If we got new equipment it went to the head of the line.

The fact that Amtrak has brand new sleepers sitting in the intense Florida summer sun when we all know the original Viewliners are getting a little long in the tooth is beyond baffling. They can't bring two up to resurrect the Night Owl during this pandemic when people may not desire to fly or stay in a hotel? Seems like a good real time test bed to me.