Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1548823  by newkirk

Saturday, July 25, 2020
Attachments:
Photo: Bill Mangahas
03) 7-25-20.JPG (403.24 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
12) 7-25-20.JPG (349.66 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
15) 7-25-20.JPG (319.69 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
 #1548851  by MattAmity90

WOW, what a sight, and OW my heart! That is just so eerie and looks apocalyptic. What was there 100 years ago is no more :( I can just picture a tumbleweed bouncing. Then again the platforms were crumbling and would eventually have to be replaced. I noticed that even after the construction is over, they will have to perform rail-tie replacement work on the two running tracks, just like the Ronkonkoma Branch after it was double-tracked.
 #1548852  by Tinyplaces

MattAmity90 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:59 am WOW, what a sight, and OW my heart! That is just so eerie and looks apocalyptic. What was there 100 years ago is no more :( I can just picture a tumbleweed bouncing. Then again the platforms were crumbling and would eventually have to be replaced. I noticed that even after the construction is over, they will have to perform rail-tie replacement work on the two running tracks, just like the Ronkonkoma Branch after it was double-tracked.
I'm wondering how they will approach this. Are they going to wait for the entire project to be completed for rail-tie replacement?
Couldn't they lay the third track in small sections of the corridor while the project is ongoing to save time so it could be used for rail-tie replacement on weekends, so for example between School St (after its completed) and Wantagh Pkwy have a third track placed and electrified while one track is being worked on this way you still have two tracks. The stretch of track between Floral Park and New Hyde Park also comes to mind.
 #1548911  by MattAmity90

That's a bit of a tall order because they would have to construct temporary switches. My idea pertains to making sure that two tracks are in service while one track is receiving rehabilitation. It's a bit complicated too since they kept one track open after they double-tracked the Ronkonkoma Branch, and the second track was already brand spanking new. This time you would have two whole tracks that go the entire stretch from Hicksville to Floral Park.
 #1549228  by Head-end View

A while back someone called our attention to the project plans which specified the reduced-aspect type signals for this project and not full-size color-light or position-light signals. So I was very surprised today to see as I rode a westbound out of Hicksville, what looked like a brand new still bagged full size signal at the second new switch for the new track just west of the station. From its size it looked like a two-head position-light signal though I only got a quick glimpse of it as we went by.

Is it possible that Divide interlocking will still be conventional P-L signals when the dust finally settles in a few years?
 #1549304  by Head-end View

So today I drove over to that area to confirm yesterday's sighting. I drove around behind some factories next to the tracks and the only bagged signal I could see looked like a smaller pedestal type position-light signal. So I may have mistaken that for a full-size signal during the quick sighting I got yesterday. I know the LIRR sometimes uses those pedestal P-L signals temporarily during construction projects so we'll see in the next two years if it's permanent or not.
 #1549818  by newkirk

Today's images:
1) New Hyde Park Rd - Underpass (Photo: Bill Mangahas)
[Image
2)New Hyde Park - New Platform (Photo: Bill Mangahas)
3) Merillon Ave - New platform (Photo: Bill Mangahas)
 #1549878  by newkirk

What's the story on the Tanners Pond Rd bridge , will this be widened ?
New Hyde Park platforms - Photo Bill Mangahas
Temporary New Hyde Park plartforms. Photo: Bill Mangahas
 #1549941  by MattAmity90

I am loving these photos and loving how everything is coming into place. Edward Hand took these three photos, one of them similar to the NHP Road bridge.
Pre-cast walls for the bridge at School Street, scheduled to be installed in about a month.
Pre-cast walls for the bridge at School Street, scheduled to be installed in about a month.
50207715477_1357f5fe5a_c.jpg (148.2 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Carle Place. The original poles are gone, but why there are three wires on the bottom I have no idea when it should be two.
Carle Place. The original poles are gone, but why there are three wires on the bottom I have no idea when it should be two.
50207714612_c9c74f6bdb_c.jpg (145.18 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
New Hyde Park Road up close. Is it me or does the bridge look sloped instead of straight?
New Hyde Park Road up close. Is it me or does the bridge look sloped instead of straight?
50206903703_0e3347ee3b_c.jpg (123.36 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
 #1549956  by Head-end View

R36, it does look low in the photo but I would guess it's 14 ft. I can't imagine they would build it too low for trucks and risk periodic strikes by large trucks like they've had with other bridges in the area.
 #1549981  by mkm4

newkirk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:21 am What's the story on the Tanners Pond Rd bridge , will this be widened ?
https://www.amodernli.com/project/tanne ... placement/
The Tanners Pond/Denton Avenue Bridge, located in the Village of Garden City along the LIRR Main Line, is scheduled to be removed and replaced with a three-track structure. The bridge will be modified to accommodate the new third track and improve safety while maintaining the bridge’s character – Denton Avenue will remain a single-lane thoroughfare