Railroad Forums 

• Scenic Attractions available by RAIL ONLY

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1548081  by mtuandrew

Rockingham Racer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:17 am A couple of routes on the Alaska Railroad come to mind.
Pretty much all of the White Pass & Yukon too, at least the in-service portions.

Add the entire Cumbres & Toltec to the list too - not sure about the Durango & Silverton.
 #1548203  by Gilbert B Norman

I totally concur with Mr. Trainguy regarding Baranca del Cobre. Been there during '75; it is specular, and no highway goes near it. To my knowledge, there is a "landing strip" that can handle a small aircraft the size of a Cessna 402 (of Cape Air varietal, Mr. Trainguy and that I once flew BOS-ACK), or if it still runs, the "Chepe" over the Chihuahua Pacific.

Although, I've never ridden it, no highway is near the Silverton. They have gates, I understand, that block the ROW, including an access road.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1548205  by bostontrainguy

bostontrainguy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:33 pm Definitely the Copper Canyon in Mexico.
And for those who may be uninformed about the Copper Canyon, watch this short video of the most unique spectacular way to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VR6JQI8VCQ

Of course you can't do this anymore :(
 #1549046  by wigwagfan

J.D. Lang wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:51 am Marias Pass and Glacier Park on the Empire Builder
My car driving on U.S. 2 and Going-to-the-Sun Road, along with thousands of other cars and visitors that didn't come in on Amtrak, disagree.

Also, Glacier Park International Airport hauls more people in and out with just one flight, than Whitefish, Belton, Essex and East Glacier do in several days.
 #1549050  by RRspatch

Depending on how far afield you wish to go with this may I suggest the Jungfraujoch Railway in Switzerland. I rode it back in 1975 during my 30 day "If this is the SBB this must be Switzerland" tour of Europe. If you're ever in Switzerland I strongly suggest taking this trip all the way to the top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungfrau_Railway
 #1549053  by eolesen

Definitely the Durango and Silverton Rwy. You can't see 95% of that from a road, and getting there on foot might be even more difficult.
 #1549643  by electricron

By rail only!
Almost every scenic view listed so far can be viewed on any vehicle by road. For example, the White Pass & Yukon RR is paralleled by the Klondike Highway. Usually the best thing to view from the highway is the train. Another example is the train ride through Royal George, which can be viewed from 1,000 feet above from the bridge. Same view, just from a different level.