Railroad Forums 

• Here Are the MTA Projects That May Be Scrapped Without Billions in Federal Bailout

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1549630  by Kelly&Kelly

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 am
It makes no sense for MTA to own those stations and have to fund improvements.... should be sitting with the communities they're in.
... Interesting trivia:

Which present LIRR stations are not owned by the LIRR/MTA? We're not talking about the parking lots.

I believe there are four (or maybe 4-1/2) of them.
 #1549721  by Kelly&Kelly

Penn Station is one of them, owned by the New York Tunnel and Terminal Company. which is Amtrak.

I'm not sure about Greenport's building. I didn't include it. I doubt the MTA would give up ownership, but that's just my opinion. They've done stranger things.

Wow! Wyandanch is also a station I hadn't considered. The Regional Economic Development Council may own the station building, but I'm not certain. Property transfers between State agencies these days are not always recorded in public records, so it might be difficult for me to check it out.

You may well be right about Belmont. I didn't think of that that one, and you may be correct. It was relocated north of Hempstead Turnpike in 1956 so some arrangement was made at that time. It was originally south of the road. Don't know how the new land was deeded or leased. I will look this up. Good catch there.

Belmont still receives freight, by the way. Generally two boxcars of horse feed weekly.

There are definitely four more about which I am certain. I hope someone names them before I forget...
 #1549782  by R36 Combine Coach

Willets Point might be owned by NYC Parks Department (the promenade or pedestrian overpass is under the parks commissioner and the station was built in 1963 along with the overpass which was by the Parks Department). The ticket office is on the promenade and the station is located within the park grounds.
 #1550259  by BuddR32

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:08 am Additional stations not owned by the LIRR are East New York, Nostrand Avenue and Flatbush Avenue, which are owned by the City of New York and leased to the MTA.
Surprised to see FBA, as that is what is left of the old terminal building. Nostrand and ENY didnt surprise me, the whole grade separation along atlantic ave was city project, wasnt it?
 #1550277  by Kelly&Kelly

The Atlantic Avenue Improvement from 1939 was done in conjunction with The Rockaway Improvement that eliminated grade crossings in the Rockaway peninsula. Was paid for by the City of New York jointly with the State.

Not sure who owns the new Atlantic Terminal building, though it's not the LIRR. Perhaps another new public authority. The platforms and track are the City's.
 #1550300  by R36 Combine Coach

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:22 am The Atlantic Avenue Improvement from 1939 was done in conjunction with the Rockaway Improvement that eliminated grade crossings in the Rockaway peninsula.
A Moses project to be exact. Is the entire Atlantic Branch city owned?
 #1553784  by Pensyfan19

Does anyone have any news/updates about this? Are there any plans for MTA funding anytime soon? I found this worrying post on the LIRR thread just now.
I noticed there seems to be fewer trains operating east of Patchogue. I don't hear the trains sounding 14L for the crossings east thereof as much as before. Also, recently I was fed a rumor of furloughing 400 Trainmen and 75 Engineers. Any ideas?