Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1549040  by RailsEast

Thanks Stephen, I hope the pool was nice (on a 92 degree day!). Sean, my friend, long time no see, thanks much & I hope all is well with you & the family.
Semper Fi,
Chris
 #1549113  by Bracdude181

CSX 4452 leading today with CSX 4429 trailing. Train is currently on the church running track waiting to get on the NJCL.

On a side note, 4452 smells awful lol.
 #1549511  by Bracdude181

As per a friend, there will be no trains on the southern secondary until the coast line has reopened. The tropical storm on Tuesday brought down tress along the coast line (and many major NJ rail routes) and nothing can get through until the damage has been repaired.
 #1549542  by NY&LB

I suspect the Southern also has trees down across the line. I did see the NJT wire train working on the lines in Middletown (Oak Hill Rd) yesterday.
 #1549588  by Bracdude181

UPDATE: the Coast Line will reopen at 3 PM today. I've been told to expect a run to Lakewood on Sunday, but Im not certain about that. I probably don't expect a run today either as trains on the Coast Line will be single tracked for a while and when that happens they tend not to give SA31 an operating window.....
 #1549606  by OCtrainguy

RailsEast wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:28 pm Thanks Stephen, I hope the pool was nice (on a 92 degree day!). Sean, my friend, long time no see, thanks much & I hope all is well with you & the family.
Semper Fi,
Chris
It was Chris, and for some reason, only myself, my daughter and my brother-in-law were in it. (Nash was working.) Everyone else was inside, so not only was the pool refreshing, there was plenty of elbow room.

And with respect to the next run of the SA31 on the Southern, not sure about tomorrow, dependent on NJT's progress and what schedule they will be running , so I guess time will tell.
 #1549607  by JDRails

Does anyone know if this means that the Oak Island-Browns run will take place along the Northeast Corridor, similar to what happened when the Coast Line went down after Sandy in 2012?
 #1549619  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

I was wondering why I heard no train today... I totally forgot about the storm. It’s been a long time since I’ve been on this thread and it’s nice to see familiar names :wink:
 #1549620  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

NY&LB wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:49 pm I suspect the Southern also has trees down across the line. I did see the NJT wire train working on the lines in Middletown (Oak Hill Rd) yesterday.
I haven’t seen any trees down on the northern side of the SOUS, (Red bank to Tinton falls)
 #1549631  by Bracdude181

I'm not sure if they will allow SA31 to run today as there is still congestion from trains being single tracked.

As for the northeast corridor routing of the Oak Island to Browns transfer, OI16 did run last night but did not go south of Port Reading. (this is normal for weekdays) I've actually been hearing a few rumors that they don't want to bring OI16 down the Coast Line anymore because of NJ Transits freight restrictions. As a result, they would come down the NEC to Monmouth junction (possibly stopping to work Metuchen along the way) because Amtrak has less restrictions regarding the weight and size of freight cars.

It would look something like this: https://youtu.be/ZCqaSJzV4WI
 #1549644  by Coast Line Railfan

The connection at MIDWAY is not being used until RIVER is being replaced for a few short weeks. There is no freight restrictions along the Coast Line, other than the height restrictions imposed by the catenary. Browns has been getting cars, and most of the jobs have been getting filled. Also, 6160 had left Browns On Wednesday, and 5628 has filled its place.
 #1549648  by JDRails

Where exactly is RIVER, and when would that replacement occur? Would love to see the long transfer freight heading to Browns from MIDWAY.
 #1549649  by Coast Line Railfan

JDRails wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:56 am Where exactly is RIVER, and when would that replacement occur? Would love to see the long transfer freight heading to Browns from MIDWAY.
RIVER is the control point on the bridge over the Raritan River. Railroad west is ESSAY in South Amboy, and railroad east in WOOD north of Perth Amboy station. It would also make more sense to route traffic in Morrisville, and have a transfer job run from there to Browns and back, since the distance is much less than Oak Island. It also means less Corridor running, which is always a good thing in the eyes of Amtrak.