Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1549007  by Rockingham Racer

dha10001 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:01 am I noticed in one of these recent videos how slanted the side walls of the coaches are. They are noticeably narrower at top than at bottom, almost egglike. Is this to allow greater tilting within the same envelope? Could this enable tilting in areas with constrained horizontal clearance like on the New Haven Line? I recall reading that tilting is not allowed along that stretch due to the close track spacing. I know there is so much to the topic of tilting that we could have a whole thread on it, and most of it hearsay.

Anyway I'm curious to know what kind of time savings this trainset can deliver due to expanded tilting / higher speeds both in less constrained areas like the SE CT shore line, and more constrained areas like the New Haven Line.
Top speed on the MNR New Haven Line is 70 MPH. Tilting seems not to be required. Don't know if they'll ever let Amtrak run faster than 70.
 #1549020  by Acela150

Rockingham Racer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:10 pm
dha10001 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:01 am I noticed in one of these recent videos how slanted the side walls of the coaches are. They are noticeably narrower at top than at bottom, almost egglike. Is this to allow greater tilting within the same envelope? Could this enable tilting in areas with constrained horizontal clearance like on the New Haven Line? I recall reading that tilting is not allowed along that stretch due to the close track spacing. I know there is so much to the topic of tilting that we could have a whole thread on it, and most of it hearsay.

Anyway I'm curious to know what kind of time savings this trainset can deliver due to expanded tilting / higher speeds both in less constrained areas like the SE CT shore line, and more constrained areas like the New Haven Line.
Top speed on the MNR New Haven Line is 70 MPH. Tilting seems not to be required. Don't know if they'll ever let Amtrak run faster than 70.
I think it's 75 for the most part with limited parts of 80 on the NY State side of the NH Line. Could be wrong though.
 #1550835  by mtuandrew

Came across this cool picture on Instagram of Acela II at HAR! It was posted by user central_penn_railfan - not sure if that person also has a presence here or on a rail photo site, but wanted you all to see it.
 #1551214  by Matt Johnson

liftedjeep wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:06 pm
Two questions:

Is the trainset testing each evening?

Does it leave and return to Philly each night?

Ben
So far this week yes, and yes.

Max speed however is 90 mph, and apparently it will not do high speed testing until the instrumentation currently on the set out at Pueblo gets transferred to this trainset.
 #1551232  by Acela150

photobug56 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:02 pm I wonder if they are doing crew training for conductors and in the food cars during some of these test runs. Also wondering - there had been higher speed tests (160?) for an Acela 1 train set - are they testing the first train set at higher speeds than that?
No and No as far as crew training goes. It's not the time for that. The trainset is not fully outfitted. It'll need to go back for the interiors to be installed.

As was mentioned regarding the higher speed testing, instrumentation for High Speed Testing is still needed.