Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1546835  by dieciduej

Cannon Ball wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:05 am Actuating rod linkages are pretty simple; they're "bellcranks." Imagine a capital letter "L" with a pivot at the apex, where the two parts of the "L" meet...........
Sounds like kinematics to me! :P
 #1547582  by scopelliti

This thought suddenly popped into my head... what will the track layout (turnouts and crossing diamond) be with the two track Oyster Bay branch coming off the now three track mainline? One possibility:
Mineola 1.jpg
Mineola 1.jpg (156.75 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
 #1547600  by Head-end View

And since we're on that subject, does anyone know if there will be any new interlockings or crossovers between Floral Pk. and Hicksville as part of the project. Or will the existing ones just be expanded to include the third track?
 #1548216  by newkirk

Yeah it's hot as the blazes today.

This should cool you all off !
Attachments:
Feb 1982.JPG
Feb 1982.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2340 times
 #1548234  by RGlueck

I still can't get used to the M1's being antiques on the LIRR today. Pretty darn new'fangled in my book!
 #1548240  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: I still can't get used to the M1's being antiques on the LIRR today. Pretty darn new'fangled in my book!
I guess we're showing our age :(
 #1548292  by Backshophoss

The sad part is there's only 1 pair remaining in Riverhead at the museum,the last remaining M-2 pair is at Danbury yard Museum, :( :(
 #1548722  by newkirk

Kool photos from a HOT day.
Attachments:
SAVE NASSAU TOWER - Photo: Bill Mangahas
SAVE NASSAU TOWER - Photo: Bill Mangahas
7-25-20 (1).JPG (318.8 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Posted Photos - Photo: Bill Mangahas
Posted Photos - Photo: Bill Mangahas
7-25-20 (2).JPG (459.7 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Nassau's  Xmas Lights - Photo: Bill Mangahas
Nassau's Xmas Lights - Photo: Bill Mangahas
7-25-20 (3).JPG (426.27 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
 #1548747  by RGlueck

Great thought, but people tend to champion an idea of this magnitude without considering the cost of moving and the insurance. It's the insurance and lift that'll kill ya. The trucker would probably have his own coverage, but cranes and supports, not to mention legal permits, adds a whole new dimension to this kind of thing. I loved Nassau Tower, but shouldn't that money be directed at one or both G5s restorations?
 #1548752  by scopelliti

Oh true. I agree... refurbing a G-5 is much more worthwhile. Was just wondering why no one started a go-fund-me or similar.
 #1548776  by RGlueck

Unless you are trying to raise money to build a walker for "paralyzed pussycats" or "art collection threatened by yet another flood along the edge of the Mississippi", crowd funding sites tend to ring poorly around RR preservation. The other issue is, funding goals generally land in the multiple tens of thousands of bucko's, and often raise less than $200. Now if Nassau Tower was to be completely restored and repainted into Pennsy era status and made a memorial to idiots who disregard crossing gates, people would fund that!
 #1548779  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: Great thought, but people tend to champion an idea of this magnitude without considering the cost of moving and the insurance. It's the insurance and lift that'll kill ya. The trucker would probably have his own coverage, but cranes and supports, not to mention legal permits, adds a whole new dimension to this kind of thing. I loved Nassau Tower, but shouldn't that money be directed at one or both G5s restorations?
To begin, I posted those "Save Nassau Tower Photo" to generate discussion. not my personal view. Mr. Glueck, I agree with everything you said about saving Nassau Tower. But there's more. Even if some rich benefactor is using his bankroll to save the tower, where will it go ? Is there any land space for this structure in Mineola ? I doubt if someone wants to save it, it would be trucked to Oyster bay, Riverhead or Greenport for their museums.

Nassau Tower's going down soon, so get your last shots now. The familiar towers are disappearing. At least we have our photos and those who worked the levers in Nassau Tower have their memories. However, as far as donating money to see #39 or #35 fully restored to full operation and returning to Long Island soil, will these engine operate fully, or just be static displays boilers fired up and kids tooting the whistle ?
 #1548793  by RGlueck

Bill: First off, call me Dick. It's my name, not my policy. Of course, I can be!
I think you did a good thing to post the images, and I agree with you regarding the logistics of this preservation. I'm unsure if the structure of Nassau would survive disassembly. We'll miss the classic structure and familiar role it's played.
Regarding the G5's, they deserve a non-critical topic header of their own. I'm certain both groups want the locos ready to go as much as we do, however "bashing" the groups won't get it done any faster. Bringing in some serious bucks from Pennsylvania and New Jersey would be required. If MTA is going to be "dogs in the manger" regarding our rail road, then run the two steamers where they're appreciated and bring in big tourism dollars.