Railroad Forums 

• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1543511  by MEC407

thebigham wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:35 pm ...the approximately 73-mile long line of railroad that runs between Milepost P 21.30 at Lincoln, New Hampshire to Milepost C 0.58 at Concord, New Hampshire...
I guess someone thought it would be too cliche to name it Lincoln & Concord Railroad or Concord & Lincoln Railroad... 🙄
 #1543512  by BowdoinStation

Merrimack & Grafton is not that far out in left field.. Concord, the southern terminus in in Merrimack Country.. Lincoln, the northern terminus where NEGS has freight rights to, is in Grafton Country.. IMHO Sounds better than rattling off Merrimack and Belknap, plus there is already an "MB" railroad in NH with Milford Bennington. :wink:
 #1543515  by b&m 1566

Concord, Laconia & Lincoln Railroad could've had a nice ring to it as well but if I had to guess, I'd say they probably stayed away from "Lincoln" in the name, out of respect for the Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad, so Merrimack and Grafton Railroad it is. I'm glad they didn't decide to call it the Merrimack, Belknap & Grafton Railroad, that would've been awful.
 #1545610  by steam1246

STB granted both Tri Rail Holdings request to own the Merrimack and Grafton Railroad Company and that company's request to become a Class 3 common carrier on June 2nd--with an effective date of June 5th. Interested parties had until June 12th to object to and/or comment on the decisions--which nobody did. The transfer of the NEGS lease of state-owned track to Merrimack and Grafton can't happen until June 20th--which is required by STB regulations that require a 30-day waiting period from the original STB filing on May 21st. Also, the transfer of the trackage lease from NEGS to the new company must be approved by NHDOT--which hasn't been publically announced, yet. It's interesting to note that the STB decision creating the Merrimack and Grafton states the new railroad expects annual revenue "not in excess of $5 million"; that's that quite an increase over what NEGS was getting from moving a handful of slurry loads to 3M in recent years! STB decision also notes all shippers on the line have been notified of the new company; would be interesting to know who ALL those shippers are.
 #1549571  by Ridgefielder

b&m 1566 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 am BandA - If I'm understanding the wording correctly, NEGS will become a defunct class III railroad and exist only on paper. I understand why they want the name to reflect the region they are serving but I'm not sure why they wouldn't just change the name of NEGS to MGRC.
My (completely uneducated) guess is there may be some sort of legal obligations-- equipment leases, say, or pending litigation-- that need to stay segregated in the old entity.