Railroad Forums 

• Canadian Pacific Returns to Maine

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1545083  by KSmitty

The Maine radio channels did not change, they are just connected to the Soo Line dispatch center in Minnesota.

I don't know about the Canadian side, but I think I remember reading some of the Canadian side was swapped over to existing CP channels where there was overlapping service? Maybe only on the extreme west end of the system. Otherwise most of the property is on the same channels just with different dispatch centers.
 #1546861  by Shortline614

Canadian Pacific has also updated their downloadable North American Rail Map PDF to show the new acquisition.
 #1547254  by csx2039

Vermont update: Confirmed from Creel himself, Zero interest in Newport sub, will be unloaded one way or another shortly, all southern new england buisness to be routed via Whitehall Ny.
 #1547266  by Shortline614

csx2039 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:07 pm Vermont update: Confirmed from Creel himself, Zero interest in Newport sub, will be unloaded one way or another shortly, all southern new england buisness to be routed via Whitehall Ny.
CP's ownership of the (northern half) of the D&H effectively makes the Newport Sub obsolete. The Vermont Rail System is the logical choice for an operator. However, unless VRS is willing to take a big risk, I can only see them taking over the Newport Sub if the potential profit outways the costs of operating cross-border. Where did Creel say this, if you don't mind me asking?
 #1547282  by S1f3432

Pretty much plays along with the GTI-CP agreement back in the 80's when the MEC Mountain Subdivision
and the B&M Conn River Line were closed to through interchange traffic, with said traffic rerouted via
Mechanicville and paper barriers put into effect to prevent future operators of those lines from attempting
to revive it. Those agreements at the time limited the Conn River to local traffic and are likely still in effect.
 #1547302  by NHV 669

Local traffic for several WACR customers has been coming in from Whitehall for a few months, but CP is apparently making more than 1 trip a week to Newport.

Greg, VRS was definitely handling through traffic, especially Canadian Lumber and wallboard products. It seems those cars are now taking the long trip around to go south.
 #1547372  by roberttosh

Much of the overhead traffic that the WACR handled was moving from CMQ to CSX and with CP having a direct connection with CSX at Albany, there is no reason to route cars over multiple regionals to get to CSX at Palmer. For at least this portion of the business the new routing makes much more sense.
 #1547376  by NHV 669

Right, that was what I was getting at. But maybe I'm missing something here; if the overhead cars are gone, what reason does CP have to make more than a single weekly trip if most of the local customers can be served from the southerly NECR connection? I don't remember their Newport customers being that busy....
 #1548310  by JBlaisdell

It's been a long time since I've been around here, so forgive me if I ask a question that's been answered elsewhere.

Regarding Searsport and NMJ:
Searsport was developed by the BAR as a deep water port. I'm sure there is a lort of potential there for traffic. The BAR used to bring oil in for paper mills, perhaps it could be an export terminal for Canadian crude.

Although Searsport may not be able to handle unit trains, I recall NMJ having a lot of real estate. Could not unit trains be made/broken up there and smaller sections shuttled to Searsport? As such, it could serve as another container port for the east coast. NJ is busy and always in danger of silting up, IIRC, Boston and Providence are limited. Plus, NMJ can transload to trucks and is riggt next to I-95.

There sure is a lot for me to catch up on...
 #1548337  by Cowford

Mr Blaisdell, without consideration of Searsport's actual infrastructure limitations, I'd bet against any petroleum export opportunities. The town successfully blocked a waterborne LPG terminal not too long ago, and one need look no further than South Portland to their battle with Portland Pipeline Corp over the same issue to see what kind of fight that would stir up. I could see a potash terminal making the cut, but let's face it: Unless you want to open raw vegan cookie shop, Maine is not the most business-friendly.

Nearby Sears Island has long been promoted as a potential container port. Nothing ever comes of it and I expect nothing ever will. No significant local population to serve and established port capacity in almost every direction: Halifax, Saint John, (soon to be expanded) Quebec City, NYNJ, etc, etc.
 #1548630  by CN9634

The port is being considered for ship-side transfer of bulk grains and potash with a loop track being designed by MaineDOT within the existing land profile. Some liquid bulk transfer can be accommodated but the capacity would need to be increased for sure to get to 'trainload' quantities. Long story short -- they'll need to put some $$ into whats there before they can get either, but the low hanging fruit is the hopper car to ship upgrades.
 #1548710  by Cosakita18

Searsport is effectively the only east coast tidewater CP has full unrestricted access to. the Potash terminal in Saint John is exclusive to CN (although they aren't making full use of it right now) and SJ doesn't have the facilities for grain exports.

It seems like the Moosehead sub could get very busy in coming years. Autoracks, crude and intermodal to Saint John, plus grain and potash to Searsport. I wouldn't be too surprised if Searsport surpasses Portland as Maine's busiest seaport.