Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1547092  by Head-end View

Do M-9's show correctly on the MyLIRR app? I've been looking for M-9's trains on it and haven't seen one yet. I'll keep looking. I only wish this app would have existed years ago so I could have more easily found M-3 trains to ride.
 #1547093  by gregorygrice

Head-end View wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:48 pm Do M-9's show correctly on the MyLIRR app? I've been looking for M-9's trains on it and haven't seen one yet. I'll keep looking. I only wish this app would have existed years ago so I could have more easily found M-3 trains to ride.
Yup. Everything has worked flawlessly with the exception of the live car capacities, but that was released recently and there are several constant factors that play into that so those "bugs" are expected. Everything else works as intended.
 #1547114  by gregorygrice

Head-end View wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:48 pm Do M-9's show correctly on the MyLIRR app? I've been looking for M-9's trains on it and haven't seen one yet. I'll keep looking. I only wish this app would have existed years ago so I could have more easily found M-3 trains to ride.
I just realized you were talking about the myLIRR app. I meant to say the TrainTime app. The myLIRR was discontinued not too long ago. Everything is on the TrainTime app.
 #1547896  by BuddR32

Head-end View wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 pm I'm surprised they wouldn't use the M-3's as much as possible to get the last ounce of service out of them before retirement. Less wear and tear on the M-7 fleet would make them last longer. Any LIRR people on here to shed some light on their thinking?
Less customer complaints.
 #1547897  by BuddR32

Head-end View wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 pm Okay J.R. So theoretically there should be 72 M-9's in service but it's obviously less than that as they're not being delivered in strict consecutive order. Thanks for the update. :-D

Now does anyone know how many M-3's are still in revenue service?
52 M9
132 M3 usable, 26 (inspected daily) as extras, others laid up
 #1550687  by newkirk

Where I live, M-9s as well as everything else on the LIRR past by every day and night. I noticed flat wheel appearing on some M-9s.

How can that be ? Leaves haven't begun to fall !
 #1550718  by gregorygrice

Lots of a equipment suffered from flat wheels due to excessive leaves and debris that blew onto the tracks during the previous storm. Sets are being taken out of rotation and being sent to the wheel mill. This is the reason the M3s are being used.
 #1550805  by Head-end View

I'm surprised LIRR did that. I thought they would try to save money by not doing the M-3's since they're going to be gone anyway as the new M-9's take their place, if the rest of them get into service anytime soon. Kudo's to LIRR for having sense enough to keep some of the M-3's available.