Railroad Forums 

• The Montclair/Boonton Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1461177  by MaRoFu

The other day I biked to Lincoln Park station, when I went to the smaller parking lot facing Park Avenue I noticed some paint markings on the ground, there's also some text which appears to indicate that something will be built there.

Any information on this?
 #1522975  by CentralValleyRail

This past Friday 10/18 something went thru MP 20.9 unscheduled around 5-5:10AM. Believe it was heading WB.

This past SATURDAY 10/19 something went thru Mountain View Station around 11:30am definitely heading WB. But I couldn't see it if I had to guess it was the aqua train.
 #1524137  by CentralValleyRail

11/4 MON 01:00 something went by Wayne Rt.23 and then again 20 minutes later, heard the whistle both times. Can't see from where I am. Believe it was EB then WB but could be wrong.

Have a feeling might be the aqua train as the horn doesn't sound like one of the normal trains that go by. It is not the geometry train as that has a distinctive horn, (although coincidentally it was on duty tonight out of Hoboken at 9pm)
 #1524204  by CNJGeep

The Geometry train has a regular diesel on both ends. Should be 4202 west 4104 east
 #1547074  by njtmnrrbuff

It's still in the planning stages but it would be nice to see the old Boonton Line right of way put to good use. It would certainly open up more walking and biking opportunities. It would be great to bike all the way to Jersey City, except that the trail would end pretty far from the main parts of Jersey City. The trail wouldn't connect to too many railroad stations but it would connect to many bus routes that can bring passengers to train and light rail stations. For example, in Belleville, the trail would go over Franklin Ave which would connect people to the NJT 74 bus which would bring people a very short way to the Branch Brook Park light Rail stop. In North Arlington, there are several bus routes that run on Ridge Rd that could bring people to NWK Penn Station(76 and 30 NJT routes). The Kingsland Station would be accessible by the 76 bus. I know that the old Boonton Line doesn't run underneath the Secaucus Jct Station platforms but close by. Hopefully there would be a connecting path from Secaucus Jct to the Boonton Line trail.
 #1547150  by Ken W2KB

I recall seeing a more detailed proposal of the trail some time ago. The trail will not enter Secaucus as there is no practical way for it to cross the Hackensack River into Secaucus. The trail would follow the abandoned right of way until it reached the west bank of the river at the western end of the line's out of service DB drawbridge, and then would divert off the railroad right of way south to parallel vehicle roads and cross into Jersey City over the vehicular bridge now under construction, and thence go to the Bergen Arches abandoned railroad right of way east, potentially to the Hudson River Walkway trail in Jersey City. I drew the approximate route as I recall it on this image from Google Maps: https://tinyurl.com/B-Trail