Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1546368  by Tadman

There's a chance the former NYSW dome/obs (looks ACF, ex-UP) will be moving soon. Given the dome car clearances, my bet is on the City to Chicago. It was stored at a location around New Orleans that is closing, and it appears to be prepped for a move.
 #1546433  by jhdeasy

Tadman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:11 am There's a chance the former NYSW dome/obs (looks ACF, ex-UP) will be moving soon. Given the dome car clearances, my bet is on the City to Chicago. It was stored at a location around New Orleans that is closing, and it appears to be prepped for a move.
Former UP 9002, Auto Train 902, NYS&W 902 later 509. ACF built in 1955.

It’s been at Pete Messina’s shop for some time, but the shop is closing next month, so it must relocate. I think it is owned by David Winters, but am uncertain.
 #1546451  by jhdeasy

gokeefe wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:18 pm I'm still trying to get over the fact that the NYS&W owned a dome (new!). That would be right up there with Maine Central owning a "Sun Lounge".
Mr. O'Keefe:

You might be even more surprised to learn that NYS&W owned eight (8) former ATSF / Auto Train full domes in the 1980s.
 #1546526  by Train2009

Train2009 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:39 am Amtrak Train #98 arrived this morning into NYP from FL with C&O Chapel Hill Private car.
Caught it in Philipse Manor - Sleepy Hollow, NY on Train #291 has it was headed back home to Albany, NY yesterday afternoon Thursday June 25.
 #1546647  by liftedjeep

Norfolk & Western "Lambert's Point", Pennsylvania Railroad "Colonial Crafts" & Boston & Maine "Salisbury Beach" on Amtrak's "The Pennsylvanian" #42 through Holmesburg Junction this afternoon.

I waited trackside for about 45 mins in the 90° heat & humidity, and in direct sunshine. Of course, as the train approached, the sun went behind a cloud (every railfan's enemy)!

"The Pennsylvanian" at speed:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5350713

Three PV's behind Amtrak City Sprinter #614. "Lambert's Point", "Colonial Crafts" & "Salisbury Beach":

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5350715

Going away shot under the PRR signal bridge. Holmesburg prison can be seen in the distance:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5350716

Ben Kranefeld
 #1546652  by liftedjeep

gokeefe wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 pm And when was the last time the Pennsylvanian had three private cars on it? Were these all one reservation or separate?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
PV's "CATALPA FALLS", "COLONIAL CRAFTS" & "FRANK THOMSON" on Amtrak's "The Pennsylvanian" #43 in July of last year:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5160430

-All three of the PVs in today's photo went west on yesterday's Pennsylvanian, and returned home this afternoon.

Ben
 #1546671  by Tadman

jhdeasy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 pm It’s been at Pete Messina’s shop for some time, but the shop is closing next month, so it must relocate. I think it is owned by David Winters, but am uncertain.
It's a shame they're closing, I drive by about once a month to see what surprises are out back. The NYSW dome was way out back and never moved until recently. But Babbling Brook and Royal Palm were kept there and most of the WEBX cars were rebuilt there.

I'm sure the PV rebuild business is a tough one. It requires skilled help, the supply chain is iffy, and no two cars are exactly alike anymore.
 #1546711  by jhdeasy

gokeefe wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 pm And when was the last time the Pennsylvanian had three private cars on it?
I believe a 4th private car in the Pennsylvanian’s consist will incur the substantial expense of an extra locomotive charge between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in each direction.
 #1546763  by jhdeasy

gokeefe wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:47 pm Wowsers. Well hopefully the PV business slowly picks back up. If there was ever a time Amtrak would accept the extra revenue it would be now.
In a feeble attempt to stimulate some PV business revenue during the 4th quarter FY 2020, Amtrak is offering car owners 5 nights of parking for the price of 3 nights of parking. A “5 for 3” promotion. They also offered to waive the surcharge for short notice movement requests, and to lower the fee for longer term storage at LAX.

My immediate response was that if they are serious about stimulating PV business, then they should discount the base mileage charge during the same period of 3 months. I suggested a discount somewhere between 15 and 33 percent off the current rate. That should get some wheels turning again.