Railroad Forums 

• #4 Red Line Cars 1900-2151

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1546439  by Head-end View

Robert Paniagua wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:20 am Yeah Ian, I also remember when the 01800s were coming in by truck to replace the antiquated 01400s, 27 years ago in early 1993 and it would b another year before they debuted. No I’m looking forward to the new CRRC red line cars hopefully they’ll be in service by the holiday season at least one or two train sets.
Ya know Rob, this is a lot like the New York area's PATH System debacle about ten years ago. They replaced their entire fleet of cars all at once including the newest, best cars they had, the Kawasaki PA-5's from 1987 that weren't even 25 years old yet. What a crime! I can't believe even rapid-transit cars are becoming part of our society's "throw away culture".
Last edited by Head-end View on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1546442  by R36 Combine Coach

Head-end View wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:34 pmI can't believe even rapid-transit cars are becoming part of our society's "throw away culture".
Give credit to PATCO for doing a full rebuild and also to NYCT for milking the R32s as long as they can (which may needed as reserve or part time fleet given the R211 delay).
 #1546444  by Head-end View

Right on both counts, R36. PATCO is the opposite extreme; rebuilding over forty year-old cars!! LOL I would have said replace them. Forty-plus years, and you've gotten your money's worth.
 #1546707  by apodino

I saw a recent YouTube Video from Cabot and some of this is mentioned in this thread but I am curious on something. It is obvious why the cars destined for the Red Line would be in Cabot, but why are Orange Line deliveries also sitting in Cabot and not Wellington? Are the Orange Line cars being tested on track 61 before shipping to Wellington, rather than on the test track between Wellington and Community College?

Also, any timeline on when the first Red Line cars acceptance testing will be complete and we may see entry into service?
 #1546709  by Robert Paniagua

I agree, Ian regarding the PATH Kawasaki cars which were built at the same time as the 01700 Red Line MBTA cars. Although the 01700s are 34 years old so they are kind of due for retirement and definitely the 015/01600s which came from 1969/70, 51 years ago!
 #1546727  by Red Wing

apodino wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:15 pm I saw a recent YouTube Video from Cabot and some of this is mentioned in this thread but I am curious on something. It is obvious why the cars destined for the Red Line would be in Cabot, but why are Orange Line deliveries also sitting in Cabot and not Wellington?
The cars are very similar. the Orange set is there to familiarize the Red Line staff.
 #1547207  by rethcir

I remember reading the RFP for the RL/OL order, it demanded a full justification for every single different part between the two cars. It’s nice that they are standardizing these, too bad they couldn’t have aligned the timing so the BL cars could be in the order as well, for a unified heavy rail fleet.
 #1547308  by MBTA3247

That, and the #4 cars were built with carbon steel. Had the T spent the extra money up front for stainless steel, they could've lasted much longer.
 #1547354  by R36 Combine Coach

MBTA3247 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:07 am That, and the #4 cars were built with carbon steel. Had the T spent the extra money up front for
stainless steel, they could've lasted much longer.
Hawker Siddeley (UTDC) in Thunder Bay did not have stainless construction capability. It is specialized in
aluminum construction (first with the GO Transit coaches and PATH PA3s, then BBD Bilevels since the 70s
and TTC cars). In fact the 1979-81 MBTA cars were among the few carbon alloy cars built there.
 #1558977  by CSRR573

Saw the new cars doing a few test runs tonight passing by Southampton St yard tonight around 700pm