Railroad Forums 

• TransitMatters Issues Detailed Regional Rail Ideas

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1546387  by Pensyfan19

I like what I see. A lot. :-D :-D :-D

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 200624.pdf

Some notable points include increasing speeds on some lines, increasing frequency of trains up to 500%, double tracking and triple tracking portions of certain lines, platform upgrades, new stations, and electrifying from North Station to Beverly!!! This might eventually lead to more proposed electrification for lines from North Station! :-D
 #1546388  by RenegadeMonster

Whoa, that was surprising news and promising.

Train frequencies between Boston and Beverly will also be increased to trains every 15 minutes. They also talk about eliminating any bottlenecks and single tracking. Wonder if that includes the tunnel and Salem Station.

Edit: Yup, it looks like there is an option to expand the Salem Tunnel to double tracking. Though it's not guaranteed it looks promising.

Also saw this when reading more.
  • Salem South Station to be built in Phase 1
  • Revere Station to be built in Phase 2
  • Castle Hill Yard to be electrified for train set storage
This makes me wonder how operations will look. Will the trains running the line look the same, or will there be different trains between the long hall trains between Newberryport/Rockport to Boston then the short tern trains.
 #1546400  by Adams_Umass_Boston

There was a good group of resonances to their twitter account when this was posted.

I offered up that same point I will make here.

If they were to expand/ add commuter rail service to Peabody that would offer additional trips from Salem to Boston. Bring additional transit service and increased property value for Peabody while adding capacity to a section of track that needs it. There was a trolley proposal to use the old tracks that lead into Peabody. Sadly that proposal went no where. I know they still get a freight train in there weekly if not daily, I saw it when I was looking at a home in the Peabody/Salem border.
 #1546459  by MBTA3247

When they rebuilt Salem Station, they eliminated the leg of the wye that allowed direct service from Peabody to Boston. The most practical option nowadays would be a local version of the Princeton Dinky with a cross-platform connection at Salem.
 #1546473  by nomis

I thought the ROW was preserved and space was put aside at from Salem’s parking garage to facilitate a rebuilding of that leg of the Wye.
 #1546482  by RenegadeMonster

It's not really an issue of people being displaced in terms of a capacity issue. There is plenty of parking available in the garage. It never is full unless there is a snow ban and everyone who has on street parking downtown park in the garage.

It would just be displacing people looking to save money because the rate is cheaper to park there rather in the garage.
 #1546580  by Pensyfan19

BandA wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:32 am How is this going to be funded?
Considering this is from the MBTA, a publicly-owned public transportation system, I would say Massachusetts taxpayer dollars.
 #1546585  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Just a quick correction - this is not from the MBTA. I don't think they had a part in it?

"TransitMatters is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to improving transit in and around
Boston by offering new perspectives, uniting transit advocates, and informing the
public. We utilize a high level of critical analysis to advocate for plans and policies that
promote convenient, effective, and equitable transportation for everyone."
 #1546587  by Pensyfan19

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 pm Just a quick correction - this is not from the MBTA. I don't think they had a part in it?

"TransitMatters is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to improving transit in and around
Boston by offering new perspectives, uniting transit advocates, and informing the
public. We utilize a high level of critical analysis to advocate for plans and policies that
promote convenient, effective, and equitable transportation for everyone."
In that case, would TransiMatters be paying for these proposals, MBTA or the MA state Government?
 #1546601  by CRail

RenegadeMonster wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:36 pm So, does that mean that these proposals have no weight behind them.
Yes. Transit matters boasts radical ideas with a complete disregard for logistical and real world factors. They want to change how the sausage is made without any interest in knowing how the sausage is made.