Railroad Forums 

• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1546281  by bostontrainguy

MaineCoonCat wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:08 pm Now begs the question(s)..

Was this just an equipment move?
or
A test/"proof of concept" for future traffic by thetlogo small.png??
It was a pretty odd collection of equipment so I would say an equipment move. A test would have been a simple engine and a few cars.
 #1546305  by b&m 1566

It's certainly a "nice to have" option for the commuter rail extras, that need to be moved byway of detour. Evidently sending the train up to Ayer, wasn't an option.
 #1546309  by BandA

What do they pay for a "16 mile" detour over the G&U vs a detour over PAR? How does it compare timewise? This move over G&U would have required a pilot vs via Ayer MBTA might have some qualified for the route. Maybe this was a proof of concept or an opportunity to qualify crew? I imagine the G&U track is in better condition and faster than PAR's track.
 #1546321  by The EGE

The MBTA did recently purchase Franklin-Milford from CSX, so the move may have been related to that. Any future MBTA service would go no further than Milford, where you could put a downtown station right at Central Street. (Previous studies did spec out a station at Hopedale, but that would require a reverse move from Milford.) It would likely be in parallel with a new layover in one of those sand pits in Bellingham.

The G&U, however, is worth keeping as an equipment move option. The railroad has historically been on very good terms with the MBTA, and it runs nicely between two layovers.
 #1546366  by BandA

The Worcester layover seems inadequate. I don't know how things are in Framingham. How is the Franklin Line layover? Would it make sense to layover trains in one end or the other of the G&U territory?
 #1546416  by johnpbarlow

BandA wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:06 am The Worcester layover seems inadequate. I don't know how things are in Framingham. How is the Franklin Line layover? Would it make sense to layover trains in one end or the other of the G&U territory?
Current yard space available for T layover at Framingham is slim: Nevens Yard is full of cars (mostly C&D empties and loads), North Framingham is the CSX flat switching yard, and the CP yard is holding stored Railbox box cars and CSX gons.
 #1546418  by b&m 1566

Two equipment moves over the G&U, nice! In just a few short days the link is proving it's worth.
 #1546432  by Boatsmate75

A move over the Worcester Main line would have required, a CSX pilot, for the back up move to CP 45, a P&W Pilot for the move to Barber, from CP 45, if a crew that was qualified is not available then either a pilot or a crew to move the train to Ayer, the a move to Boston, and then if the trainsets where not available then a required move to Beacon park over the Junction, and then reverse move all train sets. never mind the need to factor in the track availability to move everything in a timely manner, over the P&W , and Pan am Worcester main line in both directions. this make the G&U move a no brainer.
 #1546656  by craven

The crossings at S. Cedar are now completed and the newly installed rail is triangulated to join the CSX/Franklin line just before the wet-lands.
There are no long ties in the area to install a new switch but the rail is staged on ties for the connection.
 #1546668  by johnpbarlow

Here are some photos taken Friday 6/26/20 that illustrate craven's post re: track laying progress at S Cedar St Milford.
To me, the stub track is hastily layed - notice in the first photo that there are many missing ties and the rails are spiked directly to the ties without use of tie plates. Going out on a thin limb, I would also say that the smattering of new stone splaying to the right suggests that this track could be aligned sort of parallel to the G&U main, once the debris and dirt piles are removed. Dunno...
FWIW, note the elevation difference between the G&U Main and the MBTA/CSX Milford branch in photo #2. And note that 115 lb rail is installed in the S Cedar St crossing while 107 lb rail is used on the rest of the Milford branch here.
Attachments:
G&U Stub track S Cedar St Milford 062620 2.jpg
G&U Stub track S Cedar St Milford 062620 2.jpg (316.22 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
G&U Cedar St Xing Milford 062620 2 small.jpg
G&U Cedar St Xing Milford 062620 2 small.jpg (202.58 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
G&U Cedar St Xing Milford 062620.jpg
G&U Cedar St Xing Milford 062620.jpg (295.99 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
 #1546693  by craven

The stub track looks similar to the staging of rail from Vernon St. a few weeks back.

My guess is with on-going Signal Work on the mainline, the MBTA / G&U is not going to disturb the Franklin line now due to possible equipment moves from Worcester.