Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1545541  by Pensyfan19

Amtrak LiDAR Test Train spotted testing with an amfleet café and an observation car in Connecticut on June 13.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/739328/
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/739324/
 #1545588  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Backshop, it would appear thst "Beech Grove" has become a "former Office Car". Mr Anderson hsd no use for such frivolities, so it appears from Mr. Grice's photos that it has been converted to a track mapping car, and that is how the photos depict it being used.
 #1545652  by Tadman

I'm curious if that's an optics move, or if it's really no longer an office car. A "track mapping car" or a track mapping car if you get my inuendo...

Also, I'm not aware of any airlines having learjets for their brass. I supposed the brass flies in the main product. Last I ever heard of a private plane for airline bosses was Harding Lawrence at Braniff, he and the boys club there had a BAE111 that ferried a plane load to Acapulco on the weekends.
 #1545658  by F40CFan

I would think that a business car tacked onto the back of a regularly scheduled train is not as extravagant as a private jet. A complete private train set including locomotive would be more comparable in my opinion.
 #1545676  by gokeefe

Tadman wrote:I'm curious if that's an optics move, or if it's really no longer an office car. A "track mapping car" or a track mapping car if you get my inuendo...
"optics" ... HA! ... I don't suppose "Beech Grove" is going to get renamed "Laser Lounger" any time soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1545793  by planespotting

Sorry if this is a dumb question but here goes. I willing to bet that most of us can't afford to restore a full passenger car. What if we were to get our hands on something smaller, say a bay window caboose, and be able to restore that. Would Amtrak ever be willing to tack those on to a train or is that against regulations?
 #1545797  by JimBoylan

In the 1990s, Tyburn RR had that same question about their exCornRail bay window caboose. I suggested that we buy one of the ex-Pennsylvania RR passenger equipped cabin cars that had been used on Mail and Express trains. We dropped the idea after finding that ConRail had rebuilt them in Reading, Pa. shops in 1978 and turned them into regular freight cabooses.
 #1545800  by gregorygrice

planespotting wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:58 am Sorry if this is a dumb question but here goes. I willing to bet that most of us can't afford to restore a full passenger car. What if we were to get our hands on something smaller, say a bay window caboose, and be able to restore that. Would Amtrak ever be willing to tack those on to a train or is that against regulations?
The car has to be certified by Amtrak or the AAR for atleast 80/85mph (LD route top speed) or 110/115mph (NEC speeds) and also be equipped with all of the required appliances. The only place they certify cars for that is at TTC in Pueblo. All of that would cost more than the caboose itself.
 #1545893  by John_Perkowski

Second Gentle reminder

This is a thread to talk about PV and unique car movements, not how to purchase oR restore a PV.

Please stay to topic.